Menu
castellane
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lost 12 months of emails

My wife has experienced the loss of about  12 months of emails.  She didn't recognise what had happened but was surprised when she suddenly saw old emails at the top of her in box.  I didn't realise the significance of what she told me until a few weeks later.  I contacted technical support to be told that nothing can be done - sorry.

I have backups but they are back in October

Can anything be done by Virgin? - other than the technician advising me that they don't recommend Virgin's email....why doesn't she use gmail?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost 12 months of emails

AFAIK Virgin Media's recovery process under the circumstance described end at the Trash folder, i.e. if the missing emails cannot be found in webmail's Trash folder they are no longer recoverable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@castellane wrote:

the technician advising me that they don't recommend Virgin's email....why doesn't she use gmail?

Actually, that was good advice from the VM technician. The sad thing however is that if your wife was already using Gmail and found that she had lost a number of emails I'm afraid Gmail/Google would not be able to help her either.

Gmail operate the same policy as VM when it comes to missing emails. If they are not in the Trash folder they cannot be recovered and that is the standard approach by most free email providers.

Coenoby.

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
castellane
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but depressing 🙂

When I backup my data....does that include all the inbox and sent box ? Or do I have to rely on the email provider ?
0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@castellane wrote

When I backup my data....does that include all the inbox and sent box ? Or do I have to rely on the email provider ?

I'm not quite sure what you are saying there.

Does "When I backup my data" mean that you already have a back up process in place? Or are you saying "when I start backing up my data"?

"does that include all the inbox and sent box ?"  It is your choice which emails and folders you feel you need to back up depending on how important they are to you and whether you will actually need tor refer to them again.  Obviously the safest choice is to back up everything.

Then when you say "Or do I have to rely on the email provider ?" ..... well as you have already seen, the depressing news is that you cannot rely on your email provider unless they specifically offer a back up service as part of their email package.

As a final thought. In case you are looking at the "Archive" function in VM's Webmail service. That does not create a back up copy of the emails. It is simply a way of tidying up you VM mailbox by moving old emails into an "Archive folder" within the email account itself.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos