Menu
Jimbo65
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Loss of Email account

My broadband speed was increased in spite of my requesting that it should not be changed. Well it was changed and as usual I can no longer access my E mails. i get error code 0x80072af9.

I tried to fix settings to smtp but change mailbox sync sessions is greyed out. Even the various advice sites which give various flow charts do not my Windows10 Entries

I telephoned Virginmedia but they said that they would call me back within 24 hours. Given how long it took me to get through to them, this was very unsatisfactory., although perhaps understandable given current climate. 

Fed up with Virginmedia changing settings and causing Email access difficulties 

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loss of Email account

Hi there @Jimbo65

Cheers for popping on by - I am sorry that you're having some issues with your emails at the moment. 

(Any changes to a broadband speed package would not impact the email services - you can check your speed and ant change requests via your online account. The only changes we are currently making automatically are the speed boosts - you would be advised of  this via email/letter)

Please can you advise how you are trying to access your email? Is this via webmail or a 3rd party email client? 

Are you having issues with more than one email address? 

I've managed to locate your account from your forum information and can see that we have have already attempted to call you back in regard to this; I am sorry we were unable to discuss it further on the call. 

Please can you attempt logging back into your emails today for me and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jimbo65
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Katie

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was on the phone to the call centre who could not help me. I am free now. I have 2 Email accounts. For both , I am not receiving any Emails in my " In Box Virginmedia " I can however see them if I go into my virginmedia account ( where I can view bills etc). The error message I gave you suggested that there was something wrong with the E mail settings but "change mailbox sync settings" is greyed out.As a result I cannot make changes.   I am not sure what you mean by third party Emails etc. It applies to all Emails. I feel that if "change mail box settings" was not greyed out I could possibly rectify any settings issue

I note what you say about the broadband speed but this happens every time there is anything done to my broadband, which is why I asked that it be untouched when the sales people called me. As I said I am free now

Jim

0 Kudos
Jimbo65
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Katie

I would add that the password in the accounts appear to have changed. In  my main email account the password has 16 digits. I have always had the same 10 digit password. I am wondering if this may be at the root of the problem

Jim

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Jimbo65 wrote:

Well it was changed and as usual I can no longer access my E mails. i get error code 0x80072af9.

Fed up with Virginmedia changing settings and causing Email access difficulties 

Virgin have not changed their recommended email settings since 2017 so I don't think that is the cause of your problem.😉

The format of the error code 0x80072af9.suggests that you are using either Microsoft Outlook or the Microsoft Mail app to access your emails.

Those are both 3rd party email clients that Katie_WT referred to in her post. Can you log in to your email account directly when you enter your details here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  ?

0x80072af9.is a Microsoft error that I personally have not seen before but a quick Google search suggests that it may be linked either to a problem with a Windows 10update or to a conflict between Outlook or Mail and your antivirus.

Here are a couple of articles to get you started:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-mail-error-0x80072af9.3431698/ 

https://www.fileinspect.com/blog/fix-win-10-update-error-0x80072af9/  

Coenoby

Edited to add another link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/error-0x80072af9/59de... 

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos