Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Long delays in receiving emails IMAP 123-reg and synching stopped

Over the last ten days, emails from my 123-reg account have been delayed from a few hours to 3 days. I have read past posts on here from Nov 2019 that this is an unresolvable issue between 123-reg and VM. However, up to ten days ago everything is fine.

Webmail is working fine. Messages sent from Outlook arrive in webmail with no delay, messages from webmail are received Ok in webmail but are very delayed in arriving in Outlook

In addition, I am setting up on a new PC and the synch has stopped working - I get cannot connect to IMAP server. This was working fine a few weeks ago.

I have settings:

Incoming: imap.123-reg.co.uk Port 143

Outgoing: smtp.123-reg.co.uk port 25

The test works OK.

I changed the port settings to 993 and 465 and the test fails and cannot connect.

I have the same settings on the new PC - but it no longer synchs, tried the other port numbers and makes no difference.

Thank you all in advance

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Long delays in receiving emails IMAP 123-reg and synching stopped

First thoughts:

1. You can't just change ports from 143 to 993 and 25 to 465 - You need to change the encryption type from None to SSL/TLS
  2. I've checked and both
    imap.123-reg.co.uk, port 993 SSL/TLS
    smtp.123-reg.co.uk, port 465 SSL/TLS
    are reachable and respond to commands appropriately.
  3. You should update your settings with IMMEIDATE effect.  You're effectively shouting out your username and password to anyone who wants to listen.
  4. If a mail you've sent is appearing immediately in the recipients webmail folder, but not in an imap client, then I'd be looking at how often my IMAP client is updating.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi vup,

I did change to SSL/TLS - sorry I didn't mention that. But test fails to work - it takes a long while before coming back with the 'crosses' failure.

So how do I see how my IMAP is updating?

tyia

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi vip,

I just tried again - and it is now working.

ty

I tried this more than 20 times this morning - and nothing worked!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you can read the email headers on a delayed mail.  We should be able to see if it was delayed in transit, and if so where.

https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx

can analyse the headers for you.  It also has a link explaining how to get the headers from a mail in Outlook.

Tim

Edit BTW VIP is a Status, not my name.  My name on here is Ravenstar68

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos