cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of account

Justo
Joining in

Hi

I have had my computer hacked and have been trying to reset my Virgin email password.  Every time I go through the process online I get to the point of entering a new password and get the error message “sorry there was a problem registering that password. Please choose a different one “

I’ve tried numerous times with different passwords, all of them meet the requirements to be strong and turn the boxes green on the entry page.

Any advice on who I can contact or what I can do?  It’s possible my security questions have been updated by the hackers but there’s no error message on that page when I enter the answers.

Help!!!!  I’m really stressed that someone is potentially accessing my emails and information but have no idea where to go!

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Justo wrote:

“sorry there was a problem registering that password. Please choose a different one “🙂

Is the email account linked to a live Virgin Media Broadband account?

The reason I ask is that it seems that the error message you are getting comes up in cases where the original VM broadband account has been closed.

If that is the case I'm sorry to say that VM staff will be unable to give you much support.  The terms and conditions of VM's broadband accounts say that when a broadband account is closed VM will delete any email accounts linked to the broadband account 90days later.

In the past they often did not get around to doing that but since they stopped issuing email accounts to new customers they seem to be clearing out these old "orphaned" accounts.

One of the Forum Team (VM staff who support thsi forum) will be contacting you via thsi thread in a day or so and check this out for you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Justo wrote:

“sorry there was a problem registering that password. Please choose a different one “🙂

Is the email account linked to a live Virgin Media Broadband account?

The reason I ask is that it seems that the error message you are getting comes up in cases where the original VM broadband account has been closed.

If that is the case I'm sorry to say that VM staff will be unable to give you much support.  The terms and conditions of VM's broadband accounts say that when a broadband account is closed VM will delete any email accounts linked to the broadband account 90days later.

In the past they often did not get around to doing that but since they stopped issuing email accounts to new customers they seem to be clearing out these old "orphaned" accounts.

One of the Forum Team (VM staff who support thsi forum) will be contacting you via thsi thread in a day or so and check this out for you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Justo,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that your computer was compromised and that you're struggling to adjust the password for an email account. Can you please confirm if the email account in question is linked to an active broadband service with us?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach

Thanks for coming back to me.

it’s not linked to any service account with Virgin, it’s an email address we have had for 15 years or so and is our main business email 

We’ve not seen any notification that it was going to be closed, or locked or archived.  

If there was a way to get it activated again just to give us a chance to migrate to a new one it would be massively helpful 

Thanks again 

Hi @Justo 

Thanks for coming back to us. As it's not an active account, there maybe little we can do apart from ask IT to delete it.

I'll send you a PM now to check on this.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @Justo 

Thanks for joining me on PM.

Just to update the thread, we've asked for you to get the account holder to contact us via this thread using their own Forum account and we can then assist as it's an account holder only action.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John

You wanted me to register direct to sort out the email problem - here I am!

Hi John, not sure which one to reply on, but this is me if you're able to help with the account

Thanks

Hi Multi66, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear your emails have been compromised. As there is no active Virgin Media Broadband service then as John mentioned above, we may only be able to request it to be deleted by IT but I can take a look and we can go from there. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to go through security with you in a private space. Just click on the little envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs