Menu
xerxes991
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Locked mailbox

One of my secondary mailboxes has been locked by Virginmedia since 23/03/21. In the last email from VM that I can see (luckily downloaded by my email client before mailbox was locked) they say they had done that because I had set up some forwarding rules to external email addresses, which could be a security threat. They gave some examples of the rules in the email. However, all of the rules I had set up were to redirect emails which had been sent to the mailbox from some phishing domains into a separate folder which I set up in my INBOX, since I was getting fed up of being bombarded by Phish and Spam. So I am puzzled as to why they felt the need to lock my mailbox. Can anyone explain that?

More urgently, I still can't open the mailbox. I can access the secondary account, and have changed the password from there.  But from there I can't open the mailbox.  I have logged into my main account, and changed the secondary account's password from there. I have spoken to VM tech help on two occasions and they have said they would pass the issue onto Security to get the mailbox unlocked.  Still it is locked. 

Help please! 

Best regards

Steve

0 Kudos
xerxes991
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Locked mailbox

Surely somebody else has had this problem and got it solved. Is it something I can do, or do I need to wait for VM to sort for me? 😞

Best wishes

Steve

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The VM Forum Team should be able to help you with this when they reach this thread in a day or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
xerxes991
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Graham, Thanks for that - much appreciated. I wasn't sure whether anyone from VM monitors these threads.
Best regards, Steve
0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi @xerxes991 thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you're having issues accessing your secondary mailbox.  Can you please confirm if this is the case both via webmail and the 3rd party client?  Or 3rd party client only?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
xerxes991
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It is VirginMedia webmail, as well as both the 3rd party clients that I use (iOS and MacOS).  Now I have changed the password, I can access the Account area of the secondary account, but I cannot open the webmail. My main account and the other secondary accounts are all OK. 

Steve

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us @xerxes991

In regards to your 3rd party clients have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the new password?  Sorry, I do have to check all avenues.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
xerxes991
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I’ve uninstalled on iOS, but not MacOS. I was concerned about losing all my past emails on that account. I’ve tried webmail on another PC without success. 
Do you really need me to uninstall all clients? If so, how do I maintain access to all my old emails?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If you have tried that process on one of your clients without success, then I seriously doubt if you've going to have any luck with uinstalling/re-installing on the other.  I am going to send you a private message to ask you for information we cannot discuss publicly.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
Jonesy0610
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

My mail box was also locked by virgin around the same date. Up to now i haven't had any joy getting it sorted . Have they helped you?

0 Kudos