cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked email account - from sublime to ridiculous

jbraner
Dialled in

Well, I've had my email account locked again. It's due to "suspicious activity". Does anyone actually know what triggers this? Judging by the posts on this forum, there are plenty of accounts locked all the time. It happens to me every couple of months.

Each time, I go and change the password - then it works for a while until it gets locked again. Virus scans and Malware scans show nothing. 

This time I tried to be clever and not use a unique password (because it's a PIA changing PC, laptop and 2 iphones each time) - but that only "fixes" the account for 5 minutes or so - then it's locked again.

I got someone from the Forum Team to help, but I failed the DPA! That means I couldn't prove who I am. I was asked for some characters from my memorable word - which I supplied, but I was wrong! Little did I know that the "memorable word" is my PASSWORD! If you want my password, ask for my PASSWORD! The "memorable" word is the answer to the SECURITY QUESTION!

Besides some other questions, I was also asked for the "Email address registered to the account". Well, that's pretty easy - I gave the email address and also the primary alias (Of course the former alias is now the main address because VM f*&^%d that up years ago when they changed email systems - and were never able to put it back correctly). I got this wrong too - so they must have wanted the email address from my CONTACT INFORMATION! This is a different email address,as I know I can't rely on the VM one to work properly. In any case - if you have problems with your email address(es) on your VM account - I would think you'd consider the VM address to be the "Email address registered to the account".

Obviously not... (BTW - my address is a blueyonder one, as I've had it for a long time)

So, I've changed my password to a unique one, and it works - until it gets locked again.

Come on VM - this is really ridiculous. I'd be happy to talk to someone from the Forum team (even the same one who double failed my security checks) because phoning the support number is a complete waste of time.

We need to know what is considered "suspicious activity" and how to tell the VM servers to either ignore it, or get smarter with it.

Oh, and for our troubles we'll have a price increase coming up (is it this month?)

rgds,

John B
11 REPLIES 11

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jbraner, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear your email address has been locked again. 

Just to address some of the questions, when we are passing data protection, the memorable word we ask for is the data protection password you would have set up. It's the same one you quote characters from when calling us. The only time it would be the answer to your security question for your email/My VM log in is if you've set it to the same. The email we ask you to confirm is the contact email that you have chosen on your account too. 

You are required to use a new and unique password as if using one that's previously been used, as you've experienced yourself, the account would get locked again. 

We are not able to disclose what causes the email accounts to be locked I'm afraid as having this information in a public space could allow spammers to bypass things. 

The only thing we can advise is to keep running the virus scans on the devices you use email on and at times when the account does get locked, change to a new, unique password. 

Please complete this and this should automatically unlock the account for you within an hour. If after changing the password and waiting the hour you are still having an issue, pop back and let us know. 

Apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath,

Thanks for replying.

First of all - it would be helpful if the team made it a little clearer what you are actually asking for. That would certainly help us give you the correct answer 😉

The memorable word is a little confusing, but the email address is simple to describe accurately.

@Kath_F wrote:

Hi jbraner, 

when we are passing data protection, the memorable word we ask for is the data protection password you would have set up. It's the same one you quote characters from when calling us.

You bring up a good point here. First of all, I try to avoid having to phone anyone - but I can't remember what password I have used for this one. (I've struggled with this in the past) If it's not the same as my actual password (for myvirginmedia and for the email account) or the memorable person that I've set up in myvirginmedia - how can I go about checking what it is, or changing it?

Is there a way to describe this without breaching any security? PM is OK, but phoning won't help - as I need that password to get through on the phone 😉

EDIT: PS - I'm not looking for information re: how you decide to lock our accounts, but I am asking if you can raise the threshold for whatever triggers it. I scan my PC regularly with Kaspersky Total Security and with Malwarebytes. I haven't got any virus or malware on my PC or laptop, nor on my (or my wife's) iphone - but I get locked regularly.

Look on these forums and you'll see that I'm not alone. Then remember that there are many users who aren't even savvy enough to post on these forums. This is not a criticism of anyone - these people just want to have a broadband connection and send/receive emails - without having to get an IT degree. 😉

Yes, I've been getting SPAM lately - but your servers are pretty good at picking it up, and there is also a way to mark an email as SPAM, to "teach" the detectors. That SPAM comes from the outside world though, not our mail clients. All the password changes in the world won't stop it, and locking our account just annoys us.

rgds,

John B

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @jbraner,

I am sorry but we can not give password hints for a media account, we would normally ask secondary sets of questions if you do not remember the memorable words. We can also send a password reminder letter, was this done when you last called us? Are you looking to unlock an email that is no longer working? I just need straight forward response so I can help you better.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley,

I'm being straightforward 😉

I don't need help unlocking my account - I need you to stop locking it every couple of months. There is no virus on my PC or laptop nor is there any malware. If there is, it's not being picked up by Kaspersky or Malwarebytes. As far as the iphones, I'm not sure how you can even check.

I can change my password all by myself, but it's a nuisance to have to update my PC, laptop and 2 iphones every time I do it. I was trying to be clever and change back to my original password - but that doesn't work very well.

If there was malware on one of my devices, surely it would trigger to lock the account again - right away? I put it to you that your servers are too quick to trigger "suspicious activity" and lock our accounts. (just look at this forum - it's full of people whose accounts have been locked. Then think of the people who aren't tech savvy enough to get on these forums - and think what they must be going through. HINT: you won't even get the "suspicious activity" email when your email account is actually locked)

I know the difference between a password and a memorable person/place - but I get annoyed when you don't make it clear what you're actually asking for. In my "myvirginmedia" settings I have an account password and a security question. I would consider the answer to the security question to be my memorable person/place/mothers maiden name. You seem to think it's better to ask for a different "memorable name" which is "It's the same one you quote characters from when calling us".

So what is "It's the same one you quote characters from when calling us"? First of all, I try to never call VM because when I do, after wasting a lot of time, I usually feel like throwing the phone out of a window. But if I'm desperate and do have to phone - the only other "memorable" thing I can think of is the PIN number we used to use - and that was a long time ago. I was commenting that I don't remember what this is (although I can have a guess, but I'm not sure). Now I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to work out what this "memorable thing" is - because I'll need to quote some characters from it to speak to someone - and you see the problem? This also begs the question - what is the point of having a password and a security question - if you're going to ask for something different when I'm trying to get help?

Then, when I'm asking the forum team for help, with my email account - why would I think they were asking me for the contact email address? I purposely DON'T use my VM address for my contact details - because I don't trust the VM address. (it's really only my wife who uses the VM address now, unless I get something from someone who doesn't know I changed my email address) So, I wouldn't think you'd be asking for this non VM contact email address.

So, in summary - I'm just asking if you can set up your server security so it stops locking my (and anyone else like me) account for no good reason.

Thanks.

rgds,

John B

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jbraner 

I enter this thread with trepidation so please don't flame me.

The phrase that the forum staff and telephone staff ask for characters from is actually called a 'Customer verification passphrase', although it is rarely referred to as such.

If you still have the original welcome letter from when you signed up to Virginmedia or a predecessor company then the customer verification password is printed on the letter.

Hayley_S has offered to send you a letter with a reminder of the passphrase if you need it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Graham,

I really don't want to flame anybody 😉

I admit to being a little sarcastic, and sometimes a little flabbergasted though...

I originally signed up for fibre channel broadband when it was still Telewest - and that must be 20 years ago (it was something like a 374Kb fibre link). I really don't remember any welcome letter, and certainly don't remember what phrase I would have used. That's why companies use security *questions* so you can remember what your *answer* should be.

If that's what Hayley was offering to send me, I will rescind my sarcasm and exasperation - because that would be great 😉 The fact that she called it a "password reminder letter" didn't lead me to think that that is what she was talking about.

So @Hayley_S - yes please if you can send me a letter with my passphrase, that would be great! Thank you 😉

rgds,

John B

for anyone who is interested - I've also raised a complaint about this, and here is a portion of the reply to my complaint.

"The most common reason an email account is locked, is due to a user being identified as spamming. This means if you send emails to multiple recepients then your account will be locked. Please call our technical helpline and we can discuss this matter further. "

I hope they're not seriously saying that users need to send emails to one person at a time!

My wife (who uses this account now) is on a committee at her allotment - and she regularly sends out emails to 5-10 plotholders at a time 9when arranging meetings or work days or whatever...) Perhaps this is why the account gets locked so often. If they are telling me that VM email accounts need to send emails to one user at a time - that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard (and I've heard plenty).

PS - Calling the helpline is the last thing I would do for a question about this.

rgds,

John B

Hi there @jbraner

I am so sorry to hear that you have had these issues with your password, I will send you a PM now so we can arrange the password reminder letter to be sent. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your account. 

I understand that this is frustrating but our security measures are in place to keep our customers safe and protected. We can recommend that performing a full virus scan on all your devices and resetting the email password to something completely unique and new can help with this. 

You can also check your email setting and filters are all in line with what we would recommend here

Thank you. 

Hi Ash,
Thanks for helping out. I sent a PM with my details.
You do understand though, that checking for viruses and changing passwords has nothing to do with "suspicious activity" caused by sending emails to a few people at the same time?

I'm not getting at you, or any of the forum team - I think the forum team here are really good (as opposed to the telphone support people - until you can escalate the call).
It's just that the VM policies, especially concerning email, are a little bit lame.
rgds,

John B