cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked address

daleman9
Tuning in

I think Virgin Media has blocked my email address. I use eMClient for access and all attempts come back "Authentication failed".  I have had problems with strange activity in March and again in April.  The address works via VM website but not any outside client -  Windows 11, Thunderbird.  All fail to connect.  I have changed the Password many times and spoken often on 150.  Many promises but no action.  I have written complains via the website and recieved very unhelpful answers.

Can anybody suggest how my address can be un-frozen?

9 REPLIES 9

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

@daleman9 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

daleman9
Tuning in

Thanks for the reply.  I did not have the app but have downloaded it now. It seems to be working but the settings you mention I do not find.  I have already changed password scores of times via the website and on the eM Client page.  Is there something I've missed?

Since above reply I've re=read you advise and went through the website.  The system has generated a password.  What should I do with it now?  (Clean answers only)

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to enter the app password into the password field of any email client you are using to access your VM email address, eg Thunderbird and eMClient.

Edit to add: I did not mention downloading any app in my previous reply so am puzzled as to what you downloaded.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks a million.  The word app spooked me and thought, because I didn't have it,  that must be the problem.  Since then I've worked out your first response - followed the instruction.........and, blow me down, it all works.  You are marvellous.

So why, in all the phone calls to 150, technicians promising to ring back and didn't, and at least 3 complaints via the website: nobody till you has mentioned the solution.  This has been going on since mid March.  Thanks again

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Great that I have been able to help.

Sadly the call centre staff don't seem to have been briefed regarding this secuity change that VM have made.

Hi there @daleman9 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums it's great to have you here.

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue regarding your email but wanted to say a big thank you to @Graham_A who has been a big help, we are very grateful for their advice and so happy this is now resolved.

Should you ever need help in the future please do pop back to the community forums and we will do all we can to help.

New topic really.  My VM email seems haunted.  I have just received an email perporting to come from VM telling me that my password will not work unless changed in 24 hours.  The email address sent from is removed.  Lead heading is Email Administrator.  Looks like a scam to me!  Any clues? Surely VM don't send this type of email

[MOD EDIT: Email address has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi daleman9, 

Thank you for posting. 

The email is not from us and is likely a attempt to access your details. 

For more information on scam emails and how to report them, please see here

Thank you, 

Nat