Menu
Marshally
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Link between Orphan Email Accounts being closed and Mailbox Unavailable Errors?

I was wondering if there is link between Orphan Email Accounts being closed and Mailbox Unavailable errors.

Are Virgin Media erroneously identifying valid secondary email accounts as "orphan" and closing access to them?

If this is the case it would make sense to suspend your orphan email account closure programme until this issue has been resolved or preferably abandon it. I don't really understand why you can't just let the orphan email accounts run unless they are being misused, after all they came as a "free" service as part of a package that someone was paying for at the time the email address was created.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Link between Orphan Email Accounts being closed and Mailbox Unavailable Errors?

Hello

There is no link between the Orphan email addresses and the Mailbox Unavailable Errors, you are correct they came as part of a paid package and once a customer no longer is paying for that service it will cease.

The terms and conditions of VM are quite clear.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Marshally
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Link between Orphan Email Accounts being closed and Mailbox Unavailable Errors?

Well it seems likely that there is a link, if you don't work for Virgin Media how do you know that there isn't a link?

Do you get rewarded in some way by VM for "kudos" points that you are requesting?

It seems strange that this post was responded to in a matter of minutes, whereas my post for an unavailable valid non-orphan ntlworld.com mailbox remains unanswered after 24 hours.

Stating that the VM terms and conditions, doesn't explain why VM are shutting down active email addresses. Leaving them open might actually provide genuine "kudos", unlike the expensive advertising which promotes what appears to misrepresent a woeful service.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

there is no link.
VM are not shutting down active email addresses. they are being locked due to suspicious activity. Its possible the accounts are attempting to be hacked or password cracks targeting them.

As this is a community forum customers and users will reply when they can. VM take up to a week to reply. YOu didn't get a fast reply to your other thread as nothing anyone but staff could do
Marshally
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM are not shutting down active email addresses. they are being locked due to suspicious activity. Its possible the accounts are attempting to be hacked or password cracks targeting them.

Perhaps the algorithm used to identify "suspicious activity" needs refining, there seem to be an awful lot of unhappy and frustrated people on this forum.

It is also stated elsewhere on this board that the closure of "orphan" email accounts regardless of status, is an active programme being pursued by VM.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Marshally wrote:

Perhaps the algorithm used to identify "suspicious activity" needs refining, there seem to be an awful lot of unhappy and frustrated people on this forum.

It is also stated elsewhere on this board that the closure of "orphan" email accounts regardless of status, is an active programme being pursued by VM.

There is a significant difference between an orphaned account and an active secondary account.  The latter is connected to an active VM broadband account but the former isn't.  However, if the VM security team see 'suspicious' activity on any of the email accounts under their domains they will temporarily lock them regardless of their status.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks