Menu
Gooner1050
Just joined
Message 1 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Junk E-Mail

I am being inundated with junk e-mail since Friday - can anyone help me resolve or give advice?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 2 of 77
Flag for a moderator

Re: Junk E-Mail

I have had an increase of very strange spam emails just in the last week.
There has been a recent paste of 164,111 emails which includes my ntlworld.com, may be a data breach dur to occur, look at the have I been pwned web site, I got a warning from them as I am suscribed.
The paste is demo.zeeroq.com, but do not click on it, my antivirus blocked it as a phishing website

Best to ignore them if obvious spam or delete them. I filter my known genuine contacts to the inbox and a second filter puts any other emails/spam to a separate folder for checking, so I control who get to my inbox.
hope this helps
0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 77
Flag for a moderator

@ALF28 wrote:
I filter my known genuine contacts to the inbox and a second filter puts any other emails/spam to a separate folder for checking, so I control who get to my inbox.

@ALF28 

So you have basically made your own whitelist in the webmail settings?  That seems a great idea, ALF28!  Would you please share a screen shot of your filter(s)?  (Appropriately redacted or just make a picture of a similar one that is anonymous.)  I'm sure that would help many people.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 4 of 77
Flag for a moderator

junk email- description

Most of the recent spam emails relate to health products or renewal of anivirus mcfee and norton or gambling or bitcoin, tesco etc

The email have no content, just a link or image to click on, this indicates spam usually as no text wording.

Some emails are not from any known company and are therefor are spoofed/fake but some come from gmail addresses which may be spoofed.

Several of the spam emails quote an ID ref number which may be coincidence but the string of number I can  recognise and correspond to email addresses or password number strings including the numbers used in my community password. Begin to wonder just who is sending this spam and how they seem to possible know what number relate to my accounts-- if it is coincidence then the probabilty of getting 4 or 5 numbers correct is amazing.

Is it a remarkable coincidence ocuring more than once, or do these spammers/hackers know my details, in the past I have had my password sent to me.

I am starting to believe that nothing online is secure, even have someone else using one of my emails. 

I am reviewing all my emails.

Note this is not a virgin issue if  emails are not from a virgin sender address but some of the headers do include virgin email addresses that are unknown.

I did report some to virgin but the standard reply indicated they were not from virgin and not to send them

Note- this is not  the  responsibility of virgin and requires no action, as they can not control who sends emails, but some are flagged as spam, others get through, note that in settings under spam, they can be directed to the spam folder.

Spam can only be reported to virgin if it is from a genuine virgin sender address.

The spammers send their spam using distribution lists obtained from the internet or from websites where your email is registered and possibly passed to third parties. In some cases hacked data is used to obtain emails addresses as spam targets. There are many ways spammers get their emails so secrecy is important in selecting and using emails if an email is to remain secure or for secure purposes.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 77
Flag for a moderator

That is not what I asked.  But ?thanks? anyway.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 6 of 77
Flag for a moderator

setings-filters  add 1st filter

(rule name) -known contacts

apply rule to any condition- tick this

(conditions)-   (from and to used to catch any forwarded emails) any number of contacts can be listed

(from)      (contains)   joebloggs

(to )       (contains)      joebloggs

(from)      (contains)   fredbloggs

(to )       (contains)     fredbloggs

(action)

(file info)      (select folder)    inbox  (acts as a white filter)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

setings-filters  add 2st filter

(rule name) -  unknown/spam

apply rule to any condition- tick this

(conditions)-   (from and to used to catch any forwarded emails) note @ will catch all emails

(from)      (contains)   @

(to )       (contains)     @

(action)

(file info)      (select folder)    vault1spam   (acts as a black filter)  folder can be named anything or even select spam folder

Note if spam folder used could loose some genuine email after 30 days so I use my own folder to retain all emails.

Check the selected folder often as some spam emails may not be spam but genuine. and can be added to known contact filter if required.

Hope this explains the 2 filters, if you need screen shots I could do that but not easy for me, perhaps you could provide screen shots.

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 7 of 77
Flag for a moderator

correction to filter method

1st filter  known contacts

(subsequent rules)-- ensure this is not ticked or known contacts will go to spam as well as the inbox so untick

it is at the bottom of the filter settings

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 77
Flag for a moderator

hope my filter method could be understood. Not easy to do screen shots as scrolling occurs in filter box settings.

The inbox filter can be a multiple filter or more than one inbox filter could be used for each company/person

I manage to keep my inbox clear and control the spam.

It is doing similar to a white/backlist that some software like mailwasher does but setting the filters is time consuming but only needs doing once and the occasional update.

nice to be free of spam. Hope is is useful.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 9 of 77
Flag for a moderator

@ALF28 wrote:

hope my filter method could be understood

Well, I understand it so it must be clear enough. 😊  I like it because it is much easier to manage your known contacts than constantly updating your own spam filters to keep pace with the spammers.

The only question I have relates to your statement in your first post "I filter my known genuine contacts to the inbox and a second filter puts any other emails/spam to a separate folder for checking"

So I take it that you have changed the SPAM settings in your account to"Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox"? That would make sense because the filters only work on emails that appear in the inbox. Any that VM puts into the spam folder just stay there so will not be picked up by either of your filters.

As it says in the setting, all your emails will now go to the inbox and will be picked up by your filters. Any emails that have been identified as spam by VM will be clearly marked in the subject line. Of course we know that VM does sometimes put genuine emails into spam so if you keep SPAM filter as the default "Move message to Spam folder" you would have two folders to check, (your standard SPAM folder and your vault1spam folder).

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 10 of 77
Flag for a moderator

good point, you are correct my spam setting is "flag as spam and deliver to the inbox", this avoids having 3 folders, and all unknow emails go to a single folder, makes checking easier, the spam tag means virgin recognise an email as possible spam but best do decide yourself if an email is genuine or not.

Also spam is supposed to delete after 30 days but I found it stays longer.

I do not use the blacklist as email sender addresses change to often and they also go to spam.

Not all emails are picked up as spam may be 50% for example but this means spam can arrive untagged so best not to rely on spam tagging although it is very useful to know it may be spam. Only by looking at the sender address or the header info can decide where the email has originated and from what ip address.

By whitelisting all known contact and organisations it can help control spam, sometimes spammers use addresses containing a known contact but with a slight difference in the spelling, so the system is not  totally fool proof, so look out for faked sender address that do not match  the usual sender address or put the full correct address in the filter (not just part of it) so only the genuine address will arrive e.g.    no reply@anybank.co.uk, the more precise the to/from filter conditions  are the better the filtering. Sometimes it can be trial and error till you get it right.

thanks for the contribution.