Menu
Neilski64
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Issues receiving emails on my wife’s iphone

Hi.

we left VM 2 years ago but retain the @ntlworld.com email addresses. 2 days ago, my wife found out that she was unable to send emails on her iphone (XR). Have tried going into VM website and log-in via there, but it is telling her that her password is incorrect, although she has never changed it.

she is able to send emails but not receive, getting message : ‘Cannot get mail, the user name or password for ntlworld is incorrect‘. This message also comes up on her iPad.

any help gratefully received folks

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Issues receiving emails on my wife’s iphone

You said -

we left VM 2 years ago but retain the @ntlworld.com email addresses”

I’m afraid you do NOT own the addresses. When you leave VM they remain VM’s property and they should have been closed down 90 days after you ceased to be a customer (that is what is in the Terms and Conditions you signed up to). VM’s track record in doing this is a bit hit and miss as your continued usage for 2 years proves.

You should copy any data you want to keep from all other addresses before they are also closed down.

0 Kudos
Neilski64
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK. Thanks for letting me know. Had no idea, and surprised we have been able to use till now. Thanks

0 Kudos
Neilski64
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi again

In accepting the previous answer, we are still able to send emails from the address. Does this mean VM are in the process of closing down the email address (if so, is it normal practice to do so without advising to owner) or is the loss of incoming emails since Sunday just a blip that could be corrected. If the latter, how do we do this? Thanks

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is difficult to know what the exact cause is without having access to the account.

You could try checking the settings you are using against the current recommended ones set out here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

VM do not routinely give a reminder about the closure of the email account other than that issued at the time the broadband account is closed.

If it has been picked up as part of a clear up of orphaned accounts they will send a series of advance notices prior to closure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Neilski64
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for this.

have followed the link, but having followed the process in the link, no change to the outcome. Still unable to send emails.

Also, i can confirm that i have sent a test email to my wife and it has not bounced back.

any other thoughts gratefully received

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It might be that the password databases at VMs end have got out of sync.  Normally this could be rectified by resetting the password, however, without a VM account there is no way to do this.

Definitely time to recover as much data as possible from the account as per message 2, and create a new email address for your wife.

Pick an email provider not connected to your ISP and start informing your wife's contacts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos