Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Issue forwarding emails

Hi,

my son is having an issue with emails on his iPhone using the native Mail app. If he forwards an email to me, then chooses to reply to the original email, the To field populates with my email address and not the originator. This is a recent thing and we cannot figure out why. We have tried deleting the account and reinstating and deleting the app and reinstating to no avail. If anyone has any thoughts we would be very grateful. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issue forwarding emails

After selecting the Navigation_Reply  action button do you see the sender's contact name / email address for example if richard.branson@viginmedia.com was the sender:
2020-06-11.jpeg

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi

When he chooses reply it is my address that is in the To field, even tho he has clicked on the original email. I’ve even tried it myself and he is right.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

When the action button Navigation_Reply is selected and the options Reply, Reply All, Forward and Delete  are presented is your contact name or email address shown; similar to the image previously posted?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

My apologies. I understand what you mean now. I will check when he is home and reply later. Thank you for your help so far. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Ok so when he clicks on the arrow, it is his name/address that is there, and when he clicks on reply it puts in my address (assuming he has forwarded the email to me). If he forwards to his dad, same thing, his name then replies to his dad not originator. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Only thing that comes to mind as a possible cause is Settings > Mail > Always Bcc Myself is turned On. If it is on try turning it off to see if that resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi. We checked that and it was off. Don’t think that would explain why the email then was sent to me when he hit reply, but I’m grateful for your time anyway. Hopefully someone else may have some thoughts?

thanks

Jill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to read that did not help but the reasoning was as follows:

1. Alice received an email from Bob
  2. and forward that email onto Carol
  3. which is Cc or Bcc to Alice

In Mail the messages are grouped so when Alice goes to reply to the message from Bob the most recent message in that group is the one to Carol so that is who the reply is addressed to. If Alice wishes to reply to Bob   >⃝  needs to be selected and then the message from Bob selected.

Correction: there is a bug at play in Mail as the Cc message has a sender of Alice, recipient of Carol but the reply instead of going to Alice goes to Carol.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Ah I understand! Shame that wasn’t the answer then. Thank you for your time and thoughts. Much appreciated. 

0 Kudos