Menu
dickeverard
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Inundated by phishing e-mails

I have read that I shouldn't forward a phishing e-mail to Virgin unless it purports to come from Virgin media.  However, I am receiving ten or more phishing e-mails everyday.  I have a spam filter on Outlook (Spamfighter) but this fails to stop these e-mails.  Many of them have no content but they are nearly all from supposed anti-virus companies pretending to be McAfee, Norton etc.  I suspect this is due to the fact that Virgin Media were hacked and my e-mail address was amongst those now at large.  I forward every single phishing e-mail to Virgin and to the government phishing addresses.  I don't get any phishing e-mails on my gmail or yahoo mail accounts so why can't Virgin do something to stop it.  I think that these e-mails are probably being sent to make people so fed up that they purchase anti-spam software but if it is as useless as Spamfighter why bother.  Please Virgin do something about it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inundated by phishing e-mails

Thanks for the post Dickeverard.

You would have received an email if you were affected by the data breach. 

Have you used the spam filters in the web-mail rather than over a third party app?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
dickeverard
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Emily

No, I didn't receive an email so presumably didn't suffer from that breach.  I am not sure what you mean by "the spam filters in the web-mail".  I use Outlook on my PC and there is a spam folder but it doesn't pick up any of the e-mails of which I have been inundated.  However, the inundation is now much less and I am only getting one e-mail every day rather than 8 or 10 so something has changed.

Regards Richard

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you go to the webmail that the email address is initially accessible through rather than the app you can add spam filters here. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
gascar
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The filters do not work for Norton and McAfee spammers.

The spammers put the words into pictures so they aren't seen, also use things like N.O.R.T.O.N  .
I no longer bother with filters, because they don't work properly anyway. I tried putting everything from ebay into one folder. Nope, half goes into spam...

They can't even be bothered to give instructions on wildcards - they just say it's a standard so go look it up somewhere else!

You can blackllist the sender address, but not many addresses are held. My list has been full forever now. You used to be able to put things into SPam which would catch other emails, but that packed up too.

As you say, it's ony Virgin which lets this rubbish through, apparently.

Virgin's email service has always been disgraceful.  They're quick to claim it's free. It's not, but the really free ones, like Gmail, are 10x better.