Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 21 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent send receive error Outlook 2010 IMAP

@Gareth_L 

It's certainly an ongoing issue and as @BillC45 has stated, we are also pursuing this on the SU board.

FWIW one thing that's bothered me is that the server is closing the question immediately after the login command - i.e.  It's not delivering an error message - it's just shutting down the TCP connection out of hand with either a FIN or an RST message..  It's definitely unusual behaviour and something the email team and Liberty Global should be actively investigating.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 28
Flag for a moderator

guys, do you need any more logs posting?

thanks all for your help

darren

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

IMHO probably not as: (a) the logs are unlikely to show anything new; (b) issue is reproducible and has been for a good while now.

Highlighted
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 24 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @dazseaton 

Thanks for your patience with this. I've been wiling away in the background to find out what we can do to resolve this for you.

The problem has come about due to the way our mail servers currently work. There is some work ongoing to update things that we believe will sort the IMAP problem. I can't give you any firm timescales as yet I'm afraid. Once there is more information available on the work being done I'll check-in to let you know, and we can test things again to confirm that the problem is resolved.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 25 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent send receive error Outlook 2010 rIMAP

Hello @Kev_B, All,

Sorry for coming a little late to this thread but it seems to have been left hanging and waiting for a future update (my apologies if I have not managed to find another thread that has since superseded this one).

I seem to have been having the same problem for a while. I have Outlook 2010, connected via IMAP to virginmedia servers:

imap.virginmedia.com
smtp.virginmedia.com
IMAP port 993, SSL
SMTP port 465, SSL
username@virginmedia.com (I recall reading somewhere else that it is best to add the "@virginmedia.com" to the username)

I have "suffered" from frequent connection drops for many months, and they seem to come and go a little. E-mail can be sent/received, but frequently the connection drops and the "Connect to Server" button appears on the Outlook Send/Receive tab, and then it's a bit hit and miss as to whether or not thing will connect again and send/receive e-mail. Restarting Outlook sometimes kicks things back to life.

I have a strong, reliable, internet connection - all other internet services are solid, fast and I have no other issues with other applications on my PC, or any of the other networked devices for my other family members using our home network.

I read the previous posts about logging, and I think this is the most relevant logging extract, with content that I have been able to reproduce many times:

Intializing connection [0D5FB7E8]

IMAP: 10:39:24 [db] Setting internal codepage to 1200

IMAP: 10:39:24 [db] Connecting to 'imap.virginmedia.com' on port 993.
IMAP: 10:39:24 [db] OnNotify: asOld = 0, asNew = 4, ae = 0
IMAP: 10:39:24 [db] Negotiating secure connection with 'Microsoft Unified Security Protocol Provider'.
IMAP: 10:39:24 [db] OnNotify: asOld = 4, asNew = 6, ae = 2
IMAP: 10:39:24 [db] OnNotify: asOld = 6, asNew = 6, ae = 4
IMAP: 10:39:25 [db] OnNotify: asOld = 6, asNew = 5, ae = 2
IMAP: 10:39:25 [db] OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
IMAP: 10:39:25 [rx] * OK Virgin Media IMAP4 server ready [ e4c558782VM ].
IMAP: 10:39:25 [tx] f87u CAPABILITY
IMAP: 10:39:25 [rx] * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 NAMESPACE
IMAP: 10:39:25 [rx] f87u OK CAPABILITY completed.
IMAP: 10:39:25 [tx] LOGIN command sent
IMAP: 10:39:25 [db] Connection to 'imap.virginmedia.com' closed.
IMAP: 10:39:25 [db] OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 0, ae = 5
IMAP: 10:39:25 [db] ERROR: "Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.", hr=2148322319

As shown above, there seems to be a near instantaneous rejection of the login attempt (sometimes).

Look forward to hearing any news on resolving this, please!

Many thanks,

Andy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent send receive error Outlook 2010 rIMAP

Hi Andy,

yesterday and today I have also been unable to stay logged on. sometimes disconnects before even synchronising. driving me insane. ended up logging in via web.

darren

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev,

The past week i have been unable to use outlook at all for getting my emails as it disconnects while doing the first send/receive.

This has got to the point of it being unusable. I assume its because of increased network traffic.

Are you anywhere near solving this?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Darren

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev,
Is this limited to @ntlworld.com addresses or is it the same for @virginmedia.com email addresses?
I'm that fed up, thinking of creating a vigin media account even though had other one since ntl were around.
thanks
Darren
0 Kudos