Menu
Jim_N
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Infected with Malware letter

Hi all

I can see there have been posts on this before but I've had a few emails and a letter now saying one of my devices is infected with Malware.

I've scanned both main computers (full scans) with Windows defender and nothing found. I've scanned my laptop with Windows defender and nothing found.

The mobile phones all have play protect or equivalent on. I've phoned virgin about this and the lady on the phone had no idea what to do as she had never come across this situation.

She put a note on my account showing that I had scanned everything and everything was clear.

I have virgin website on, I have malware protection through my router as well as the built in Windows options and the mobiles are virus free, so I don't know what else to do!

As I say I'm quite hot on with I.T and I know exactly what and when things are connected to my network via my router software.

Obviously I don't want my internet cutting off but I've been with bt before this and virgin for years before that and never had anything like this before

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Infected with Malware letter

What exactly did the letter say?

Usually VM send out these letters in response to reports from third parties such as Shadowserver (I've had one myself when mDNS was exposed to the internet - not malware but a legitimate concern just the same)..

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jim_N
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It just says a device using my internet connection may be infected with malware and then gives me some tips on how to scan the computers etc. 

Says if this keeps happening, they have the right to terminate my broadband service!

I have received the same letter again today! Again all computers scanned, and all OK!

0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Jim_N.

Thanks for your post 🙂 

Virgin Media are always on the alert for any potential issues with a customers online security, if we happen to find any issues we'll send you a notification of what we've found via letter. 

We're unable to identify the specific device affected, only the IP address from which the issue was detected. 

You can find more details on this here and step by step guidance on getting this resolved. 

To confirm, have you followed the instructions/advice outlined in the letter in order to look into the matter? And all tests are coming back as clear? 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jim_N
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

On this occasion, it doesn't even list an IP address that i can see.

I have run Malwarebytes this time (As its free and comes recommended) and that did find a few issues which I have quarantined so I'll see if this fixes the issue.

Thank you

Jim

0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update @Jim_N.

Ah apologies about that, please keep us updated on how this goes. 

Any further issues, please just pop another post on this this thread and we'll happily assist. 

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jim_N
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! 🙂
0 Kudos