Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Incoming notice from Virgin Media

Hi all,

I have had this email sent through to me for the second time in several weeks asking me to log on as the email online platform will be changing.  Is this true?  I followed the instructions the first time but haven't done anything this time.  Here is the snapshot of what I was sent.

Can anyone shed light on this?  Many thanks in advance.

khls15995_0-1605695629576.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Look at the sender address, @online.com, so not even from...

Look at the sender address, @online.com, so not even from a VM email domain, bad grammar, poorly worded - it's a scam!

Now if you clicked on the link the first time, I'm betting that it showed a page which looks almost identical to the VM web login and required you to put your email address and password in, did it also ask for any other information, account number, date of birth etc, for 'verification purposes'?

Click login and it'll reply with something like 'Account upgrade successful' or something like like.

You've just handed all of the details to scammers who will now use it (or sell it on, or both) to intercept your emails, try to take over any other accounts, access your bank, etc. etc. etc.

You need to systematically go through all of your on-line accounts and change all the passwords and don't use the same password for different accounts!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Incoming notice from Virgin Media

It is a phishing attempt similar to the one reported by the Security Team here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-2810-2020/m-p/4459615#M39...

Just ignore it and delete the email.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Look at the sender address, @online.com, so not even from...

Thank you so much for your reply.  It only asked me for my VM password, nothing else.  However, I changed my password as a precautionary measure.  I feel a bit silly as I'm normally so careful with these things.  

Thanks again for your advice.  It's much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this.  I'll be extra careful next time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No worries but consider that if they had your VM username and password (which OK you have now changed), then they could access your email - with that they could try using that same username and password on other sites or request a password reset which they would be able to see and change.

In addition a favourite trick they use is to setup an auto forwarder to another email account they control so even if you change your password now, the email system will still be forwarding any messages sent to you to them as well. So you need to log into the VM webmail portal and check the forwarding rules for anything you don't recognise and delete them.

0 Kudos