cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Emails to @ntlworld.com Addresses Blocked

robinwilson16
On our wavelength

Hello

I run an email server which is not blacklisted by anyone (mail.robindigital.co.uk @ [IP removed] ) yet emails sent to @ntlworld.com addresses are always blocked.

Emails to all other domains work without issue and the issue seems specific to @ntlworld.com

I have looked to see if there is a de-listing process but cannot find one.

Please can someone advise how this can be addressed.

Thanks

Robin

31 REPLIES 31

robinwilson16
On our wavelength

Thanks ravenstar68

I have contacted TalkTalk Business and asked them to add a reverse lookup record that resolves to mail.robindigital.co.uk.

Hopefully they will be able to add it and then hopefully it should resolve this.

It's strange it only affects VM. They must be stricter than the rest.

Robin

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I do know that it's good practice for email servers to have the correct reverse DNS, definitely shouldn't go back to a generic hostname.

I host via a VPN on OVH and before that with 1&1 Ionos, both of those support setting your reverse DNS.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I meant VPS, not VPN - doh

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@robinwilson16 I see your reverse DNS has been changed.  Are you still getting bounces?

Tim

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@robinwilson16 

Is mail reaching the previously blocked addresses now?  I can see the reverse DNS has been set.

Tim

@ravenstar68

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks, I think that has done the job although I have asked a few times for the person who reported the issue to confirm it is resolved and I do not have anyone with those domains I can email so I believe it to be resolved as they are not complaining so hopefully there will be no more issues.

Thanks again for your help.

Robin

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are running the mail servers and you've made sends to the affected addresses, you should be able to check your mail server logs to confirm delivery.

robinwilson16
On our wavelength

Yes thanks I will check through the log. I split them up between domains so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming a linux/unix server and you've got the ability to ssh to the server just use cat <path to log file> | grep mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net.

That's the mail exchanger used for all 4 Virgin Media domains.

Tim

RMTN
Tuning in

Hello - I am having the same issue, and our reverse lookup record does resolve to mail.ourdomain.com so not sure why we are receiving the error message. Emails that were making it through to a @ntlworld.com have suddenly stopped working and we receive the following error message:

[theperson]@ntlworld.com: host mxin10.virginmedia.com[84.116.6.18] refused
to talk to me: 421 EHLO MXIN201 Your HELO/EHLO ln15.myplesk.cc is not
matching your DNS configuration mail.ourdomain.com. 

Using https://mxtoolbox.com/ I can see this is not the case, everything is resolving correctly, so unsure why I am receiving these error messages? Our hosting provider is also stumped. I received the same message when emailing a @virginmedia.com address. This is a new issue and the @ntlworld.com email address we are having the problem with we have been emailing for years. We are a business and don't do mail outs, simply use email to respond to customer enquiries. Any help would be appreciated - thank you!