Menu
Pliers
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Inbox, spam and trash folders empty.

I was expecting an email to one of my mailboxes that I could see in mailwasher and Outlook would not download it. I signed in to my webmail account and it was empty bar one email.
The trash and spam folders were also empty. 
I checked two of my other mailboxes and they were ok, what has cleared out my mailbox?

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inbox, spam and trash folders empty.

Hey Pliers,

Have you been able to gain access to the mail that you couldn't on Monday?

Have you been able to access your webmail before this? Is the correct email account attached to your webmail?

If you can see this in mailwasher, would be able to forward the mail to yourself and see if this appears in your mailbox? This would test that if we have a problem with your account receiving mails?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Pliers
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I have downloaded a copy of the mail from Monday, but there is no copy in my webmail account.
My mail is downloading ok again now, but if I log in to my webmail account it only contains todays mail, the previous emails have gone. My other accounts contain several months mail. I have checked the settings in Outlook are the same for all accounts.

Pete.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Pliers wrote:

I have checked the settings in Outlook are the same for all accounts.

Apologies for butting in here but are you using POP3 or IMAP settings in Outlook?

If it is IMAP I would have expected the contents of your mailbox to be the same in Outlook and Webmail. If it is POP3 then emails could have been deleted from your Webmail account without affecting Outlook.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Pliers
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am using POP3 on 5 blueyonder mailboxes., all set to leave a copy of the mail on the server. The other mailboxes have a couple of weeks of mail left on them , this one seem to delete everything leaving only the latest days mail in the inbox. Nothing in the trash, nothing in the spam.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Pliers wrote:

I am using POP3 on 5 blueyonder mailboxes.,

Thanks for coming back. I guessed it must be POP3.

all set to leave a copy of the mail on the server.

Actually, VM have said in the past that have not implemented POP3 as it was intended. Even if you flagged the POP3 setting to "delete from server" it would not actually delete the emails from your VM mailbox. I recently tested that out for another poster and proved that  was the case.

In fact VM do not advise customers to use POP3, they recommend the use of IMAP. (Don't worry about that though I have always used POP3 with my Ntlworld account and still do. 😉)

The other mailboxes have a couple of weeks of mail left on them , this one seem to delete everything leaving only the latest days mail in the inbox. Nothing in the trash, nothing in the spam.

I do remember someone else had the same problem but I don't think we ever got to the bottom of it. Have you checked the Webmail account that gets deleted to see if there are any Filter Rules set up. That is a possible cause.

1) Sign into the Webmail account

2) Click the system menu icon, the 3 horizontal bars on the right side of the menu bar and click Settings.

3) Expand the E-mail options.

4) Select Filter Rules

and see if any have been set up.

Coenoby

Edited to add, here is the earlier thread I remembered where someone was seeing exactly the same thing with emails being deleted from webmail after one day. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Emails-being-deleted-automatically/td-p/4237805 

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Pliers
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Checked my mailbox last night no filter rules set up.
I noted there were two emails i had not downloaded to Outlook but had deleted in Mailwasher,
I also sent myself a test email that I did not download or delete in Mailwasher.
This morning only the the test email is in my mailbox.

I use this method of downloading and deleting across 5 mailboxes, this only happens on mailbox #4.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Pliers wrote:

Checked my mailbox last night no filter rules set up..

OK that rules out the most obvious cause.

Did you have a chance to  scan through the other thread I linked to at the end of my last post? That individual was not using Mailwasher but does their experience seem similar/the same as yours?

Coenoby

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If none of your email clients are using IMAP then consider changing the password for mailbox #4 and then signing into webmail and selecting ☰ > Quit other sessions > Yes, close all other sessions to see if the problem persists.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pliers
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

On Sunday I sent myself two more test emails.
I logged into my account and there were three emails, the original test, test 2 and test 3. 
I opened Mailwasher and could see the three mails. I deleted test 2.
I logged in to my account again and the three mails were still there as I would expect.
This morning email test 2 is not there, not even in the trash.
In the other mailboxes, deleting them in Mailwasher does not remove them from the webmail mailbox.

0 Kudos