Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Inbox emails have disappeared without trace.....

Hello

I have a blueyonder email address, and access my email via Virgin Media webmail and also on my iPhone.  I've checked my emails today and all of my inbox emails have disappeared with the exception of about a week's worth.  All my sent mail appears to still be available.

Can someone help me with this?  VM have been pretty unhelpful thus far, and have just wiffled on about there being a server issue but no due date for its resolution.

I also seem to have a folder referencing an orphaned account as well, which seems to have just appeared over the last couple of days.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Helen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inbox emails have disappeared without trace.....

Hi Helen, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into, I'm sorry you feel you've not been helped properly yet. Lets see if I can though. 

When you've spoken to the other agents, have they mentioned anything about the issue or said they would create an IT ticket?

Any other information you could give would be super helpful, I'll also see if I can find any information myself. 

Let me know,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In addition to Megan_L's advice, check your email address security, just to be on the safe side:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

No, the chap I spoke to was extremely dismissive and just said it was a known issue and that there was no due date for a fix.  No reference given.

My inbox emails have still not come back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I was under the illusion that if you used Blueyonder it could be purged at any time and that you'd need to be a current customer. Correct me if I am wrong. It could potentially be VM Webmail so if you have an external client, try that 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"I was under the illusion that if you used Blueyonder it could be purged at any time and that you'd need to be a current customer. Correct me if I am wrong. It could potentially be VM Webmail so if you have an external client, try that 🙂"

Yes, you are under an illusion. 

Blueyonder email addresses are fully supported for current VM broadband customers, along with the other legacy domains.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Hezza701 

If you put “emails disappeared” into the search bar at the top of this page it will return more than 30 of the most recent posts on this subject matter. The vast majority are the result of accidental deletion of emails arising from the use of smart phones to manage emails. The vast majority of the devices in question are iPhones.

I posted the following in early 2019 -

It will be no consolation to you to learn that this issue with disappearing emails and iPhone/iPad devices has been around for years.

See this long list from Google Productforums going back to 2015/2016 -

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/W_2608VZwWs;context-place=topicsearchin/gmail/w...

and this one from their more recent revamp of the support interface -

https://support.google.com/mail/search?q=inbox+contents+have+disappeared&from_promoted_search=true

I’m using the Gmail example because of the sheer volume of users and incidence of reports.

This Apple support website has some 600 posts on the subject of disappearing emails -

https://discussions.apple.com/search?q=inbox+disappeared.

Apple deny that there is any “bug” in their software which causes this problem and put the disappearance down to “user error” - or - not understanding how to best configure the phone – or - how IMAP works – etc etc. But there are hundreds (if not thousands) of users who will swear otherwise.

Statistically, the numbers are on Apple’s side. Consider these. Apple sold 216.76 Million iPhones in 2017 alone. If this alleged bug affected, say a mere one tenth of 1% of these users alone that amounts to 216,760 potential cases globally. If we guesstimate that half of VM’s 5 Million customers have an iPhone in the family, the number of affected VM customers could be around 2500+ using the same one tenth of 1% incidence. We are not seeing anything near that in reported incidents. So, if it's a bug - it's a rare one.

Finally, a reminder of what YOU should have been doing about your email security -

Email use

6.5. It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account.”

See - https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy

0 Kudos