Menu
Wile_E_Coyote
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If I'm @NTLWorld am I @VirginMedia?

I've just been into my VirginMedia account profile to see if I can create @VirginMedia email addresses for my wife and myself as we are currently using @NTLWorld ones. Both our Firstname.Surname ones say they are taken and to add 1, 2 etc to get one that isn't. As our names aren't that common, is it because they are already allocated to my account or just coincidence?

Anyone know?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: If I'm @NTLWorld am I @VirginMedia?

@Wile_E_Coyote 

When you try and create a secondary account with yourname@virginmedia it will say it already exists if yourname@blueyonder or yourname@ Ntlworld or yourname@virgin.net have ever been used. It is designed so that two people cannot use the same preface across all of the VM domains including the legacy ones.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Wile_E_Coyote
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I thought it was too much of a coincidence. I assume there isn't a way to convert one to the other?

I was looking into the possibility, on the off-chance that VM addresses were less likely to disappear than one of the legacy ones but if they are part of the account it doesn't sound like they are any safer.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

“On the off-chance” contingency lacks resilience, instead find an email service:

• where use is not linked to use of another service they provide, i.e. email account only exists as long as you have broadband service with them
  • has security that is equal to or greater than the services it may help secure

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Wile_E_Coyote
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We already have secondary Google Mail accounts but have been using our NTLWorld ones as our default for as long as we've had emails - hence the NTLWorld domain names. We've never had a problem before.

I've even looked into creating a personal Domain complete with hosting. Although not that expensive yearly, free is a much better deal. 😁

We have Outlook on our PC which I backup so we've still got our Ins & Outs though, without 365 they can't be viewed out in the big wide world.

⋮ ?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you should move away from VM email. if you ever have to move away from VM you will lose them
0 Kudos