Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Identity - Router compromised

I'm contacting you on behalf of my elderly mother in law, who has sight issues. Her grandson, who is staying with her, may have been the victim of identity fraud, and the police have advised him to check that her router has not been compromised. She has been unable to get through to VM on the phone and is unable to access her online account. She is worried sick, could you arrange for someone at VM to contact her please? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Identity - Router compromised

compromised in what way. there is very little that can be changed on the hub

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Usually "compromised" routers are mentioned in unsolicited fake tech support calls, threating the user with disconnection.  If this is the case, it's nothing to worry about.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't know, he was just told to ask Virgin to check it out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It wasn't a phishing call. There has been fraudulent activity on her grandson's accounts, with large food and taxi orders being made to addresses over 50 miles away. He said he switched his laptop off before he went out but he believes it has been switched on remotely by someone who may have then mined personal information from it. He has changed his passwords but they have been subsequently changed by someone else and a complaint he made has been cancelled. It has been suggested that this means that the router is not as secure as they thought.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is FAR more likely that the laptop has been compromised, not the router.

The laptop needs to be checked for malware, preferably by an expert.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I agree that does make more sense and as he works in IT I'm surprised he hasn't thought of that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@labash2 wrote:

It wasn't a phishing call. There has been fraudulent activity on her grandson's accounts, with large food and taxi orders being made to addresses over 50 miles away. He said he switched his laptop off before he went out but he believes it has been switched on remotely by someone who may have then mined personal information from it.

This is highly unlikely, but I wouldn't go as far to say impossible to do.

He has changed his passwords but they have been subsequently changed by someone else and a complaint he made has been cancelled. It has been suggested that this means that the router is not as secure as they thought.

This suggests that there may be a keylogger on the laptop.  The first port of call is to scan it for viruses/malware, using reputable software.  Online scanners are available if he doesn't have anti-virus software (which is regarded as essential by banks).  If that doesn't work or yields nothing, a clean install (not recovery; as the partition could be compromised) of Windows is required (unless it's a Mac).  All data will be removed.

All VM's responsibility is to provide internet access, as per their terms and conditions.  If these are breached, you could end up in court.  They have control of the router's firmware (software on a chip) at network level, so modifying that would be difficult for the average user to do (again this isn't impossible).  The  owner of the computer is ultimately responsible for its (mis)use.  Lack of knowledge or unawareness (from the user's perspective) isn't VM's responsibility; these forums are provided for additional help, nothing more. 

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos