Menu
Stanl
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

IP address is blacklisted

IMG_3828.jpg

My IP has been blacklisted and I don't really know what to do to get it sorted out.

I have followed the advice on previous forum answers, scanned all my PC's laptops and phones which all came back clear but I am still blacklisted and it is a real pain in the backside.

What more can I do to get this fixed?

I have changed the password on all my email accounts but still the problem remains.

I hope someone can please help me with this.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP address is blacklisted

what problem are you seeing. Blacklisted ip shouldn't effect you unless you are running servers
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The only blacklist that VM use us spamhaus and you can check it yourself at https://www.spamhaus.org/query, when you query if the IP address is on the PBL then there is nothing to worry about as most residential IP addresses are listed there is just means that your IP address is a dynamic one. If it is on any other one then you have some form of SpamBot have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Stanl 

For the most part being on blacklists should not affect day to day internet activities.  Lets look at the ones you are on.

Policy Blacklists:
These are IP addresses that either shouldn't be, or aren't believed to be running email servers.

dnsbl.spfbl.net
dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net

These lists do not identify sources of spam.

Most IP addresses that are on these lists are there simply because they are residential IP addresses.  It is normal to be on these lists.

Aggregate Zone

Some blacklist providers run several different types of blacklists.  The aggregate zone allows all lists to be checked in one go as the result here matches the result of the list you are on.

dnsbl,sorbs.net - is one such zone.  In this case you are on this simply because you are on dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net

The above entries can be ignored then.

Exploit Blacklists

Of more concern is the last entry:

cbl.abuseat.org

Being on this list often indicates that traffic has been seen that strongly suggests that one or more devices on your network has been compromised.  If you believe this to be in error, you can ask for a de-listing on the site itself.  BUT if your IP address appears back in there then you really need to have a look at EVERYTHING on your network.  This would include things like Kodi boxes, firesticks, third party routers (NOT the VM Superhubs), printers etc.

TL:DR

The only blacklist you should be concerned about is cbl.abuseat.org

Being on the other three is normal for a standard residential connection.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Stanl
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The main problem is we are unable to send emails from any VM or ntlworld account.

other than that things are OK.

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Stanl 

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you've been having these email issues. Can you clarify -  when connected to your VM connection it's blocking the vm/ntlworld log in page here?

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Stanl
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Hollie_B 

For some reason I am not getting email notifications about replies on the forum despite ticking the box.

I use Outlook as my email client and I cannot send emails, through a process of elimination and reading about this on the internet I have discovered that my IP address is blacklisted.

I have had some very helpful tips from other users of the forums but haven't been able to resolve things as yet due to work commitments in the build up to Christmas but will be looking into things further in the next few days.

I will repost my findings ten.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Stanl Can you have a look at my post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Seeing what error message the server is returning would be very useful.

Tim

0 Kudos
Stanl
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68

An update on my issue.

I carried out a full scan on all my PC's and Mac's and discovered 16 threats on one of them which I removed and carried out a further scan using a different AV provider and everything was clean.

I then used Malwarebytes on the same computer and the 16 threats were there so I got Malwarebytes to delete them and ran the AV again and everything was clear.

Ran Malwarebytes and the 16 threats were there again so it's frustrating.

I checked to see if my IP was blacklisted and there had been no instances for 8 days so presumably deleting the threats has fixed the issue and I removed myself from the listing site.

I then followed the link: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

2020.12.28 11:44:51 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded

So I think I am all clear for now.

I have antivirus installed on everything now and it was an iMac that had all the issues so the myth about Apple not getting viruses would appear to be exactly that.

Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to list those 16 detections?

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos