Menu
johnar1970
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

IP Camera no longer sending emails

Hi Everyone,

I'm having an issue with my trusty old IP camera and I'm really struggling to troubleshoot it, I hope someone can help.

For years, my camera has been sending emails to me whenever it detected motion.  It was configured to use my ntlworld.com email address and sent the emails to my hotmail address - I've not had to change the settings on it since I first set it up in 2008, but on Tuesday morning it was on whilst some workmen were in my flat and it busily sent me 227 emails before it suddenly stopped sending them and it hasn't sent a single email since.  I can still log onto the camera and view it live (inside my home network and outside), I can access all the settings pages in it just like before but it won't send emails.

I wonder if I've somehow got myself blocked for sending so many emails in rapid succession?

I had a look at my account settings and it was set to use smtp.ntlworld.com, so I've updated it to use smtp.virginmedia.com and I've changed the port from 25 to 465.  It still doesn't seem to want to work.

In terms of username, I've tried both the email address firstname.lastname@ntlworld.com and also the username I use to access the email account on the web. I've also changed it to say yes to SSL connection and authentication, where previously these were set to no.

I can email my hotmail account from my ntlworld.com address via the webmail.  I can also reply from hotmail to my ntlworld.com address without any issues.

If I try to ping smtp.virginmedia.com the server replies to me.

I think I've either got myself blocked somewhere or something has gone wrong with the camera (it's a y-cam knight I bought in 2008 - very old but has always been really reliable until now)

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try? I'm currently trying a different camera and don't seem to be having much joy with that one either.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP Camera no longer sending emails

Are there any error logs showing?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
johnar1970
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

None that I could find, although in truth I wouldn't know where to look for them

Bizarrely, after three days of eerie Silence, I seem to have got it working again and the emails have started to come through.

Thanks for the reply, I guess this will remain a mystery, but I can live with that if it doesn't happen again 🙂

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@johnar1970 @ravenstar68 

I wonder if the extra activity from the workmen triggered the too many emails in a time period block.  This would be released as the volume of emails returned to normal levels.

Without seeing the actual VM error code we can only speculate.

Good to read that it has settled down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos