Menu
Racy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

IP Blacklisted can't send emails

I'm trying to help someone who's Virgin media IP address keeps getting blacklisted, which stops them sending emails via any of their Virgin accounts from devices on their internal network.  I've checked their devices for security issues but can't find anything malicious.  The problem disappears after a few days, but reappears and is happening once a week, and lasting a few days at a time.  

I've read the page in the following link which says "If you are a Virgin Media residential customer, it is very common for your IP address to be listed with the below blacklists because your IP address is dynamic".  

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/my-virgin-media-ip-address-is-blacklisted 

The page says "This is completely normal and will not cause issues with mail delivery unless you’re running your own email server on your home connection", which they are not.   

I understand the link saying it's normal as my own external Virgin IP appeared on it and as the page stated, it did not cause me any issues, but I don't use desktop Outlook so the problem doesn't affect me.   

They are only trying to send emails from my Virgin email accounts via the desktop version of Outlook or via an app on Ipad, but Virgin's email server is rejecting the messages due to the IP being on the blacklists from the page above (even though it states being on them is not a problem).  

Has anyone else ever heard of or encountered this problem?  It's driving them crazy and they only sought my advice as they are finding it impossible to get through to a human on the Virgin help system.  When they have in the past, it has been beyond the person helpings level. 

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. 

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP Blacklisted can't send emails

it is likely their public IP Address appears on Spamhaus's lists, to confirm this perform the following steps from the device that cannot send:

• browse to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer and note the Your IP address is value
  • go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
  • enter the Your IP address is value (from step 1) in the IP Address field and select Lookup
  • excluding the PBL, is it reported as listed elsewhere; do not post the results here without redacting your public IP address from text and underlying URLs?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Racy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. It is appearing on Spanhaus Zen and SORBS DUHL. I'd already used the Blacklist Check tool on the link above. The problem is, on that link/page it's saying that ""This is completely normal and will not cause issues with mail delivery unless you’re running your own email server on your home connection", but it is clearly causing an issue with sending email.

0 Kudos
Racy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry forgot to add, also listed in XBL.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On the device from which emails cannot be sent can you run the following command in a Terminal / Command Shell where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\|VM")) 

Post the redacted results here.

0 Kudos
Racy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The following came back:

C:\Windows\System32\findstr.exe
< 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That result indicates there is no longer an issue with sending emails, can you confirm that is the case?

If the issue reoccurs run the curl command again and post the result here; if the result is VM305 then please read the following post, Searching for Spambots on your network.

With urgency you should investigate the cause of the XBL listing.

0 Kudos
Racy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It has indeed cleared again and they can send emails.  I’ll try the command again when the issue reoccurs, and I’ll look into the other Spambots and XBL listings you provided.  I’ve got a suspicion (having skimmed the links) it’s something on an Android phone causing the issue, as I only scanned computers and tablets for security issues. 

Thank you very much for all your help, it is really appreciated. 

0 Kudos
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Racy,

Just a word of caution, as you say "as I only scanned computers and tablets for security issues". If you've run anti- virus/malware programs in the hope of finding the spambot, unfortunately they won't find it. They're too well hidden apparently, so don't assume what you've scanned is "clean". I fell foul of one embedded in our Amazon Fire TV Stick (hard reset fixed it), but other items include smart TV's, laptops / PC's, mobile phones, etc. As your friend appears to be finding out, the spambot can send intermittently, &/or awake when a device is turned on.

Good luck in finding the culprit.

Racy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tip boothy99. I think I'll finally need to learn Wireshark to find the source.