Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

IP Address is blacklisted

I wonder whether someone can help me.  I use MS outlook to send emails.  For some reason they have started going into people's spam folders.  I have chatted to world and their wife, the webhosting company, the domain company etc. and it seems to come back to Virgin, my ISP.  Something to do with dynamic and static IP addresses.  I cannot seem to get this sorted.

The main one that I can find using the mxtool is SorbsDUHL, the rest seem to be okay now.  The suggestion has been to ask Virgin for a new IP address. I have even tried a VPN but it makes no difference to the email.  Any thoughts please

More Information About Sorbs Duhl

The SORBS (Spam and Open Relay Blocking System), owned and operated by Proofpoint, Inc., provides free access to its DNS-based Block List (DNSBL) to effectively block email from more than 12 million host servers known to disseminate spam, phishing attacks and other forms of malicious email. The list typically includes email servers suspected of sending or relaying spam, servers that have been hacked and hijacked, and those with Trojan infestations. In an attempt to provide preemptive protection, SORBS also lists servers with dynamically allocated IP addresses.

Sorbs Duhl Reports Subnets

Subnet-based Blacklists are used to reject email from entire ranges of IP Addresses, i.e. providers that are hosting companies sending spam, as well as single IP Addresses that may fall in that range of IP Address.

Sorbs Duhl Reports Dynamic Ip Addresses

Dynamic-based Blacklists will list many DHCP ranges of IP Addresses from Internet Service Providers. You could be listed if your IP Address was previously dynamically assigned, or if your ISP gave you a static assignment and did not assign a distinguished PTR-Record, aka a "Reverse DNS Entry."

Sorbs Duhl Requires A Manual Delisting Request

This blacklist does support a manual request to remove or delist your IP Address from their database. Please note that removal requests that are submitted without addressing the core problem will likely result in your IP Address or Domain being relisted in that database, which can cause subsequent problems and extended listing periods without release.

More information about SORBS DUHL can be found at their website: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml

Reason for listing - Dynamic IP Addresses See: http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?81.104.243.171

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP Address is blacklisted

I do wish that support at the web hosts would actually learn about blacklists. 😞

Being on blacklists SHOULD NOT in most circumstances stop you sending mail from a mail client.  The DUHL identifies IP addresses that should not have a mail server on them because the addresses are given out using DHCP.

ALL RESIDENTIAL ADDRESSES should be on this list and/or Spamhaus PBL - not to mention a number of lesser lists that use the same criteria.

I cannot reiterate this enough,  THIS DOES NOT AFFECT PROGRAMS SUCH AS OUTLOOK - if your webhost says otherwise, then my advice is to get a new webhost who actually know what they are talking about.

Would you be willing to drop me an email so I can have a look at the source to see if it gives some clues as to what's happening?  Note:  I'm not a Virgin Media employee.  I am a user just like you.  But if you have a look at my Email FAQ's you'll see I'm no slouch when it comes to understanding what's going on.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I really appreciate you responding to me on this one, thanks v much.

Basically I noticed recently that my business emails, sent using Outlook, are going into people's spam boxes.  I am at a loss as to know why.

My domain is registered at 123reg, my website and email with WPX hosting.  WPX suggested going onto MX toolbox and initially there were a few companies where I was blacklisted.  The others have removed me but SORBS is the only ne that I can now see.  I contacted them and they gave me the explanation that I gave yesterday.  They basically say it's because of the dynamic/static status etc.  I have even tried a VPN to see if that was the problem but it made no difference and again it said it was to do with the rDNS.

So, I am at a loss.  SORBS won't take me off, they blame the ISP (Virgin) as previous.  WPX and 123 say it's not their IP address it is mine.  Virgin clearly won't change my IP address unless I request another box.  Virgin mentioned something about port 25 but I'm not using that, I am using encryption.

The only other thing I am wondering is whether my phone/laptop has some malware in it - I read somewhere that this can effect whether you're blacklisted.  Is it also possible that if someone received a previous message, and it went into their spam, that if you send them a subsequent message, even after you've come off the list (and if they haven't flagged as non-spam) then you will always go into their spam box.

I hope this makes some sense - it doesn't to me because I'm non-techie. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dorian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Here is what WPX said

Hi Dorian,

As previously mentioned our mail service isn't using either DMARC or DKIM records.

Your IP address is blocked not the one of the server that your using.

You need to check and request a delist from the Blacklist of the following services:
https://take.ms/agenV

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or need our help with any other troubling technical issues there.

Here is what WPX also state:

Hi Dorian,

As they mentioned /spamhaus/ in their message, you have to reach to your Internet provider, which is not us.

"If this address is actually static, the regional Internet registry contact for the address (your Internet service provider) should contact us with details of their statically and dynamically assigned ranges."

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or need our help with any other troubling technical issues there.

Warm regards,
Stefan P.

Here is what SORBS state

Hello,

The IP [Removed] is listed as dynamic. It should not be used for sending email. You can, of course, use it as your email sending IP, however, you may have a problem with being listed on SORBS DUHL if you send an email to a recipient who uses SORBS DUHL for email filtering. Since not all email recipients use the DUHL list, you will not get a rejection with every email you send.

Your ISP can easily correct the DNS setting if they sold you a static IP. If you did not pay for a static IP, the DUHL listing will likely remain.

See below.

This is not a SPAM listing.

The SORBS DUHL listing is used to list Dynamic IPs. Unfortunately a Dynamic IP cannot be removed from the DUHL list, since that is what the DUHL list is, a list of dynamic IPs. When the IP was listed, or why you are using the IP, has nothing to do with it.

If this address is actually static, the regional Internet registry contact for the address (your Internet service provider) should contact us with details of their statically and dynamically assigned ranges. Further to prevent relisting the reverse DNS names should be set to indicate static assignment.

Delisting is also possible by having the reverse DNS set to the same as the MX record for a domain. However, please be aware that the DNS PTR, MX and A records should have a minimum Time-to-Live of 12 hours.

What identifies the IP as dynamic, are the markers in the PTR. For example; key strings like dhcp, pool, dyn, cable, DSL, dial, cpe, cust, RES, IP address, etc.

QUESTIONS:
[Removed].in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
ANSWERS:
-> [Removed].in-addr.arpa
type = PTR, class = IN, dlen = 52
name = c[Removed]
ttl = 86400 (1 day)

------------
Name: [Removed]
Address: [Removed]

You may want to review our Dynamic IP FAQ at:
http://www.sorbs.net/delisting/dul.shtml

"The reverse DNS PTR record for the IP address involved needs to map back to the name given in the MX record, and to have a TTL of at least 43200 seconds
(12 hours)."

Your ISP should be able to help you with this change; it is easy for them to do. The IP will not be de-listed until this change is made.

If the ISP, cannot change the PTR to the MX record name, then adding the word "static" to the PTR would make the IP static; it could then be removed from the DUHL list. Note that it needs a TTL of at least 43200 seconds (12 hours).

Thank you,
Eric
SORBS Technical Support

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

"The IP 81.104.243.* is listed as dynamic. It should not be used for sending email"

Correct. Your IP is dynamic so it can not be removed

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The IP 81.104.243.171 is listed as dynamic. It should not be used for sending email.

This is wrong on so many levels.  You need to think about how email works.

1. You type email into your email program.
  2. Your email program sends the email to your email service providers Outbound server.
  3. your email providers Outbound server delivers the email to the recipients inbound server.
  4. The inbound server stores the mail in the recipients mailbox.

Now blacklists work at step 3.  Guess what, it's not your home IP that they look at.  Instead they look at the IP address of the outbound email server.

All blacklist providers should tell you that the only time it matters if the IP address is listed, is if you are running a mail server on that IP address.

What outbound smtp server are you using?

Tim

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim, again sorry for being non-tech.  On outlook my outgoing server reads 465 and ticked encrypted.

Hope this makes sense.

Dorian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

What is the server name?

Thanks for the port info though.

Tim

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

That isn't what Ravenstar68 asked for.  What is the name of the SMTP server you are using? Eg SMTP.virginmedia.com or one supplied by your email host wpx.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham, I so sorry for my delay on this one, I got swamped and forgot to log onto virgin again.  My incoming mail server (POP3) is uk2.wpxhosting.com and my outgoing SMPT is the same, outgoing is 995 and incoming is 465.  Does this help?

0 Kudos