Menu
ianjctki
Joining in
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

IMAP server authentication

Hi 

Using Outlook (Microsoft 365) on a W10 PC to connect and receive emails.
I have 2 different email account setup in outlook
- the exchange based one works over the Virgin broadband wifi connection.
The IMAP account fails to connect over Virgin broadband. 
The  error (with the email address altered for security reasons)
can be seen below

Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for xxxx@xx-xx.xx.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) :
'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for xxxx@xx-xx.xx.
Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message,
contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

The same error issue is present if a hardwired connection to the Virgin router is used.

The incoming and outgoing settings are correct - if I disconnect the Virgin wifi and use a iPhone 
hotspot emails flow correctly with no errors at all.

It currently seems impossible to talk directly to Virgin support.
Has anyone any ideas

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: IMAP server authentication

Hi ianjctki,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Really sorry to hear you're having issues with our email service.

Can you clarify for me that when using our web mail https://mail2.virginmedia.com  and your iPhone email app, that the email account is okay? I ask so we can rule out that it may be a web server issue and we can focus on the Outlook App on your W10 PC.

Can we also just clarify that you can access your email account on your iPhone using the Virgin Media WiFi?

Were asking so we can pin point whether there is an issues with the email account when using your Virgin Media broadband connection or whether its the Outlook application.

Please let me know of the above so we can assist you further.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Are you using any third party antivirus or VPN which may be blocking the connection?

Check here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/outlook-error-code-0x800ccc0e/2f295cfb-7322-4...

0 Kudos
ianjctki
Joining in
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi - thanks for you response

yes - Bitdefender on the W10 pc

This does not get in the way of a 4G hotspot connection, where email works as against over Virgin Wi-Fi connection when we get the error an no email

regards Ian 

0 Kudos
ianjctki
Joining in
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Follow up

the yes was to Bitdefender antivirus 

There is no VPN In use

thanks Ian

0 Kudos
ianjctki
Joining in
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi

Sorry for the delay in replying.

In answer to the first question the email address is not a Virgin media account. It is our own email address on our own domain hosted by Fasthosts.

In relation to the question of the use of Wi-Fi on the iPhone - yes this is over Virgin media Wi-Fi from virgin hub.

If we are connected we do not get email, but when using 4G phone connection we do get email.  Same as for the laptop - Over Virgin wi-fi we get the error- when using a 4G phone hotspot we get email to the outlook client perfectly.

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

Thanks for coming back.

Can you just confirm whether you're able to access your emails successfully via our webmail? 

Also, have you always had this problem when accessing your emails via Outlook or has this become a recent problem?

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
ianjctki
Joining in
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth

The email address is not one of yours, it is our own domain address - so is not on your webmail, we can access it over Fasthosts webmail however. 
Also when not using Virgin Wi-Fi or Virgin hard wired connection -ie a 4G Vodafone Wi-Fi hotspot- the email flows perfectly.

The connectivity issue arises when using a Virgin connection. This issue started on August 03 or August 04

thanks

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply - apologies, I did not see your other response when I posted 🙂

Okay, If you haven't already, can you please try factoring resetting your router? You'll need to stick a pin (or something of similar size) into the back end of your router for at least 30 seconds to trigger the factory reset. After the factory reset has completed, please try accessing your emails again for me and we'll go from there.

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Bitdefender may be scanning emails & blocking them, try disabling it temporarily.

As the account is not VM you should double-check with the provider/web hosting to see if the settings have changed, perhaps they’ve added 2-step authentication or changed the server settings.

Cellular connections can be easier to send/receive from at time.

0 Kudos