Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

IMAP - Blueyonder or Virgin Media?

Good morning

I use Outlook (ver 16.35 part of O365) on my Mac, I have an old Blueyonder email address - please can I confirm what IMAP settings I should be using to configure my email?

You see I've tried IMAP.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com and this just results in a 'not connected' error message in the bottom right.

Should I still after all this time be using imap.blueyonder.co.uk and smtp.blueyonder.co.uk as I thought these had be retired.

Do I need a @virginmedia.com email address to be able to use the virginmedia IMAP and smtp settings?

Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IMAP - Blueyonder or Virgin Media?

You need to make sure you configure the ports properly as well.

Outlook 365 for Windows is now able to configure itself, in theory Outlook for Mac should be able to as well.

Settings are as follows.

Incoming

imap.virginmedia.com
Port 993 SSL/TLS

Username:  Your FULL blueyonder email address.
Password

Outgoing

smtp.virginmedia.com
Port 465 SSL/TLS

In more settings->Outgoing click my server requires authentication and use same settings as incoming server.

Note:  If Outlook is using the old dialog then the port is set up by going to more settings and then clicking the advanced tab.

Start by changing the security to SSL/TLS for both the incoming port will change automatically but you will need to change the outgoing port manually AFTER selecting SSL/TLS

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks - sorry I guess I should have added that into the original post that I have configured the ports correctly but still results in a 'not connected' message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Actually, scrap all that - everything now appears to be working as expected - maybe just a server side glitch but all okay.

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting us know.

If you have any more issues let us know.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks