Looking for help, already have a ticket logged with Virgin which apparenlty (since mid January) will be answered "tomorrow", but never get a response and after 20 minutes on hold, get hung up on. Twitter support says there is an update, but cant give it over the Internet, phone support tells me it'll be fixed tomorrow.
Basically since November my IMAP Access hasnt worked, always gives a can't connect / username and password type error. I can access Webmail fine and I can also connect on POP3 no problems, but any time I try on IMAP (which has worked for years), I get unknown user name or password. My partner which is a sub account can access IMAP fine as always, I've tried setting up his account on my phone, its perfect, as soon as I switch it to my details (the same as I use for POP) it gives me the error. Additionally, I've tried this on Macbook and on iPad (which all worked before) always with the same results.
The only oddity is that when I connect to webmail, I use our own domain name as a login e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org, when I connect to POP3 or IMAP (previously) i've had to use a virginmedia address, e.g. email@example.com. Even though both technically relate to the same "account". For the sake of completeness I've tried using both to connect in, but neither makes any difference.
I've seen loads of people and threads about IMAP but none of them really fit my issue that I've found, does anyone else have anything like this, or know how best to get Virgin to take it seriously.
For reference, the IMAP server I've always used is imap.virginmedia.com and I've tried with and without SSL and on 993 and 995. Also, just to reiterate, I can get it working perfectly on another account or on my account on POP, so I dont believe its a password issue, but this is what my phone and PC are telling me.
It would be helpful to see what is returned by the IMAP server in this situation. Open aCommand ShellorTerminalwindow and enter the following command where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, firstname.lastname@example.org:Y54kpX5g
Thanks for coming back, please see below, I've commented them, but in short. The first one is what used to work, IMAP on secondary email of main account. This is what still works on POP (I did try modifying the string to check POP as well, but clearly my curl skills are limited). The second one is my partner's account. The last one is the primary email on the main account (this is what I use for webmail). BTW as an aside (maybe), if I try and reset the password on that secondary email, it can't find the account, I'm pretty sure thats at the heart of it somewhere, but can't explain why POP still works fine.
Think I've just fixed it. After many months, working through the curls helped. Always had a suspicion (as I said in previous post) that the problem was having a Primary and a Secondary email associated with the same account. Couldn't do anything about the secondary, but just managed to change my virgin media signin to the same email address and now using the "secondary" email and the "primary" password, all 3 formats seem to work. Thanks for getting me to work through it with the curl commands, managed to focus attention.