cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unable to send or receive emails from my account.

Black444
Tuning in

From outlook or virgin my email password will not be accepted. I have contacted the help line and spoken to four different people who just say they will open a ticket and I will receive a call back. This is day six and the issue has still not been rectified. The main account is a blueyonder address and I still have the virgin.net. Can't believe that after six days I have not spoken to any technical or IT person. Virgin used to be spot on when you had issues but sadly not now.   

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Black444 wrote:

From outlook or virgin my email password will not be accepted.

When you say "from....virgin" do you mean the VM webmail service from this sign in page https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  ?

If so, what is the exact error message you are seeing?

1) If it is "Your mailbox is not available at the moment..........." you should try resetting the password to one you have never used before and then leaving it 30 minutes before you try to access the account often clears that error message.

You can reset  the password for each affected  email account by signing into the "My Virgin Media" Account using its email  address and password via this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  Then click on "Update settings" -  then "Account details" and you will see the option to edit your password.

Alternatively, if you are having problems with the My Virgin Media Account route you can try resetting the password by entering the affected email address here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password  and then following the prompts, 

Resetting the password usually restores access but not in every case. If the reset does not work then it may well require action by VM to re-enable the account.

2) If the error is "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again." there is a bigger issue going on. However you could still try resetting the password using the "forgotten-details/password" link I gave earlier to see if that resolves the immediate problem.

Post back with how that all goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Coenoby

Thanks for answering my question.  I have again been in contact with Virgin Media this morning and still no satisfaction.  They have asked that I call back tomorrow which will make it 7 working days and hopefully they will be able to escalate then.

I have a virgin.net account as the main e-mail for my account.  All my bills, communication with Virgin go to this account, as do all my standard e-mails.  I cannot access the normal signing in process for e-mail or any account information.  IT doesn't seem to recognise any passwords or my e-mail address.  At his moment I have no way to see my bills or any other communication.

When loading up Outlook I did notice the fault code error (ox800ccc92) but I guess this is due to not gaining authorisation .  The account and e-mail address were opened in 1992, when Virgin was preceeded by Telewest & NTL.  The e-mail account is activated usually on a daily basis.  As you can probably guess this is very frustrating as I know I may have important mail I'm not seeing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Black444 wrote:

Thanks for answering my question. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for coming back, sadly you did not answer the question I asked in my first post..

Without knowing exactly what error message you get when you try to sign into your VM email account via the link I gave in my first post https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  I can't really offer any advice beyond what I have already posted.

The error  codes reported by email apps such as Outlook tend to be generic and often point to an invalid password when, as you say. the basic issue is that the authorisation process has failed for some reason. 0x800CCC92 does suggest an invalid password but the error message you get from the VM website will be definitive.

I don't want to over-complicate matters (I know I am often guilty of that 😊) but have your tried resetting the password for your email account using the https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password  that I gave you in my first post? If that does not accept your email address as valid that points to a different and more worrying issue altogether.

The fact that your email account has an  @virgin.net address is not an issue as long as the email address has since been linked to your "My Virgin Media" account as part of your VM broadband package.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hi Coenoby,

Sorry I did not make it clearer I did what you asked but VM will not accept my password or additional security answers. I can't access any of my account details like my account number, area, and package details. It seems like I don't exist. I have spoken again to VM this morning and was told they will need an additional 3 days to look at the issue (so that will take my complaint up to 10 days) Still no conversation with an IT or technical person.

So I have tried to change the password but can't access because it does not recognise my details or just says your account is not available at this time. My e-mail is the primary account and all VM communication and bill information goes through that. The person on the phone sent a mail and the account accepted it so we know it still exists. I know I'm short on technical data for you but what more can I tell. Never had a problem with virgin in 30 years but I was lead to believe that you got to speak with an IT person. How the world has changed. 

Thank you for taking an interest with my issue. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Black444 wrote:

just says your account is not available at this time.

The was all I was looking for, not anything technical, just the exact error message you were getting. 😉

As I said in my very first post, in most cases that error can be resolved without any intervention from VM by simply resetting the password . If resetting the password does not do the trick, as in your case, then it needs VM to resolve the problem.

I'm afraid, all you can do is wait to see what VM Customer Services and the Technical team come back with.

Coenoby

Hi Coenoby, Finally got to speak with an IT person today. They have informed me that some kind of change over with Talk Talk is happening and that we can't have the same old email addresses. Only one address can be moved and the other must be deleted. I have opted for my virgin.net account to be reactivated and my wife's blueyonder address will be deleted. I don't really understand why they can't let us use these mail addresses but they are adamant one has to go. I have had no communication from VM or Talk Talk to tell me this was going to happen which I find strange and to know that they have not deleted the old virgin account  just blocked it. Both accounts are accessed through VM direct to clean up and delete mail on a regular basis although daily we use outlook.

So summary if you have old Virgin account names you should consider changing your e-mail address.

On a personal note, I have found this very stressful and frustrating having been with the one provider from 1992 to present and pay them the amount of money for a contract with phone, broadband and TV package, not cheap. To be just cut off with no notice is just ridiculous. At no time during my multiple calls has any other VM call person mentioned this was the must likely cause. I'm sure you can now understand how hard it's going to be for us to set up an other account and change and notify all the contacts i.e. banks, NHS, work and friends we have build up over the 30 years. VM SUCK.        

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Black444 wrote:

They have informed me that some kind of change over with Talk Talk is happening

Some VM customer services staff have been spouting this "virgin.net emails are now part of Talk Talk" for years - and it's completely wrong!! Virgin.net has nothing to do with TalkTalk.   That has come up so many times on this Forum

The facts are that Virgin sold their ADSL broadband business to Talk Talk in 2014 but Virgin Media still retained ownership of the Virgin.net email domain. Provided a virgin.net email account is linked to a live VM broadband contract then it will continue to behave exactly as if it was a virginmedia.com address with no problems.

I suspect what happened in your case was that your virgin.net address was never properly linked to your new VM broadband account. That would have been VM's fault, not yours and you would have been unaware of that - until now.

It would seem that VM have started  the process of deleting your virgin.net address because it is now classed as an "orphan" account, (that is an email account this is not linked to a VM broadband account).

Based on what you have just reported, it sounds as if VM staff are now going to link that virgin.net account to your broadband account. That should allow you to continue to use your virgin.net email account.

However, they are quite right to say that "it has to be one account or the other". because sadly that is a limitation of VM's "Move and Transfer" process for moving email accounts. If VM move an email address over to another existing VM broadband account then that email address replaces any and all email addresses that are were originally linked to that VM broadband account.

Just  to show I am not making all this up:

1) Here's a recent post where some-one was told exactly the same nonsense about the Virgin.net / Talk Talk issue, https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-net-email-not-working  If you scroll down to the post by Steven_L (a VM employee who works on this forum) you will see that he confirms that virgin.net emails are VM's responsibility and nothing to do with TalkTalk.

2) Also, here is more information about the fact the VM have been deleting virgin.net addresses that are not linked to a live VM broadband contract.https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073  

When I read of cases such as yours it really makes me wonder about the lack of training and knowledge of some of the VM customer service agents who work on the VM telephone support line.

I sincerely hope that although they appear to have given you false and confusing information that they do eventually pull everything together for you.

Coenoby

Thanks again Coenoby, I really appreciated your last answer. Unfortunately it seems like I have come to a brick wall regarding what the VM people are prepared to do for me. I have been told that they will delete the blueyonder account and reinstate the virgin net. So many calls and so many different answers very frustrating. There does not seem to be any way of escalating a problem if you think they are wrong or do not agree with what they are going to do. As I said we are not young people or have much IT experience and to lose a mail account you have been using for 30 years is stressful. A lot of important messages and contacts are there and I'm sure we will miss a few. I was sure that I had not been notified about potential deletion of e-mail accounts and I'm glad you have confirmed that for me.

Once again I thank you for the information you have provided. If anyone else reads this thread please know my opinion of VM has change from a company with good service and very few issues to being unhelpful and economical with the truth.    

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Black444 

Just for clarity I will summarise what I said in my last post:

1) The VM staff are undoubtedly wrong to suggest that TalkTalk have anything to do with a virgin.net email account.

2) Regarding their insistence that you cannot keep both your virgin.net and blueyonder email accounts. From what you have said, I think they are probably right that you can only keep one or the other - not both. Personally I would have thought they could have given you the option as to which one you wanted to keep long term. However, obviously I do not have (and don't want to have) access to the information regarding your VM broadband account.

Coenoby