cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am locked out of my Blueyonder account also!

IGP
Tuning in

My Blueyonder Email has suddenly stopped working and is asking for a password which is pre-populated yet it wont accept that. I've logged into VM and had a code sent to a different email address to enable me to change the password which I have done and that doesn't work either. VM drives me round the twist!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

PrincessMatilda
On our wavelength

I have this issue too.

I also have the same issue but getting any response from Virgin media about this is nearly impossible

indie24
On our wavelength

I had the same issue. Outlook on Android will flat out refuse the app password generated as mentioned above for my blueyonder account and keeps saying incorrect. To work around this I now use the generic email app for Samsung just for my Blueyonder which works and for all other accounts I use Outlook. Not ideal but it works. Something is definitely broken from Virgins side...

My Broadband Ping - Home

Graham

Many thanks for your information. With your detailed instructions I seem to have everything back working. What I don't understand is why it locked me out in the first place. Is there a new protocol that I wasn't informed of?

Yes, I tried that without success. I have two VM email addresses and the other is continuing to work fine without any changes, as are two sky accounts. 🤷‍♀️

RHogg
Tuning in

I've got similar issues but have just been told VM are deleting my account and I've got 30 days to sort all my email out before it's gone forever. No warning. Only cropped up with getting a new phone and having to do all the set up again. Outlook app works, webmail won't. Thanks VM.

Hi all, 

Thanks for taking the time to post in the community. 

We're sorry to hear your email accounts have been locked. There are some steps you'll need to follow in order to resolve this. 

Please log in to My Virgin Media here > Click on Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > scroll down to the App password section and click the Generate new App password button.

You should get a pop up message asking you to verify your email address and you'll need to use a 3rd party email address to continue. You'll be sent a one time passcode to enter on the next page to verify it's you. Once verified you can then update the mail password.

Wait 10 minutes and the Virgin Media email address should unlock. 

These changes have been put in place as Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is now required. Just as a side note, when logging in to My VM, you will continue to use your current log in details. 

This will only work if you have an active broadband connection with Virgin Media. If you no longer have services then you wouldn't be entitled to the email option I'm afraid. 

Please let me know how you get on and apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs