Menu
Ephemera
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hundreds of spam emails

Hi there,

today I have received hundreds of spam emails from greenelephant532@gmail
the email address alters slightly each time by changing the numbers. At the same time someone has hacked into an online shopping account and ordered several items that I have managed to cancel. 
I’ve tried blocking and added a filter as suggested by another user but as the email address keeps altering slightly it’s hard to keep up. 
Any help would be greatly received. 
Thanks 

Ephemera

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Farle1240
Joining in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hundreds of spam emails

Having exactly the same issue. Hundreds of spam emails every day for the past week. 

Wouldn’t mind but I don’t use my VM email address for anything. Only reason I have it is because VM use it for sending new contracts etc. 

No websites have it or family members etc so there has to have been a leak somewhere. 

0 Kudos
Ephemera
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Farle

Pretty poor email security from virgin media then as nobody else as your address.
Unfortunately it’s my main email address, and apparently you can’t delete your primary email address only add new ones. Having one virgin email address is bad enough for all junk and spam let alone having any additional ones. 

Could a moderator please help me deal with these hundreds of spam emails please. I don’t have this problem with my yahoo email and I don’t pay for the privilege. 

Thanks

Ephemera

0 Kudos
Ephemera
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

To add insult to injury I’ve just had an email from virgin media saying my bill is going up £3-50. Just hope they put it to good use. For example increasing security on virginmedia email accounts and better filtering of junk and spam!!!!

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ephemera

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of the email issue.

I'd advise running a malware scan on all your devices and then changing the password for the email account to something unique not used before.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
kats56
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am having this problem as well, since Saturday I have had 2000 spam e-mails. I only use this e-mail account for certain things and I'm lucky to get maybe 6 e-mails usually and never get spam.  This is really worrying and would like to know what can be done about it pplease?

0 Kudos
kats56
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'll just add that I've done a malware scan, checked all my security and changed my password, however they still keep pouring in!
0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Kats56.

Have you also gone through to check the spam setting on the web-mail? 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
kats56
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily yes I have checked the settings and they seem ok, I'm still getting hundreds a day, I mark them as spam however they still keep coming and I have to go through and mark each one as spam. Its so infuriating.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

HI kats56, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are getting such emails, can you run a virus check and change the password and let us know if anything changes? Chris

0 Kudos