cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many pictures can you send with an e-mail???

kmc1965
Joining in

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me as to how many pictures you can send as an attachment, as a few days ago I tried to send 7 pictures and a 1 paged scanned document to my work place, but could not send this via Virgin Mail, I had a message that the attachment exceeded 25MB, I zipped the items I was sending, but got the same message about exceeding 25MB. The original folder was 49.4MB and I was shocked to see that when I zipped the folder it was 47.5MB.

I gave up at the end and downloaded the folder onto an old fashioned memory stick and gave the file to work like that!

Thanks

Kathy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Due to how non-textual / ASCII elements of a message must to be encoded before transmission it is inevitable that at least 33–37% more storage will be used that that of the original. So it is not a question of how many pictures can be sent but their overall size once encoded for transmission. An alternative to sending large files via email is to upload them to a file transfer service or cloud storage service and then include link to allow recipient to download file from there in email message.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Due to how non-textual / ASCII elements of a message must to be encoded before transmission it is inevitable that at least 33–37% more storage will be used that that of the original. So it is not a question of how many pictures can be sent but their overall size once encoded for transmission. An alternative to sending large files via email is to upload them to a file transfer service or cloud storage service and then include link to allow recipient to download file from there in email message.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your help 🙂 

Hi kmc1965, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am glad that 用心棒 was able to assist. 

Can you confirm if everything is now resolved? 

KInd regards, Chris.