Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

How do I delete virgin.net email account?

My old virgin.net email account appears to have been hacked. I’d like to delete it . Can anybody help ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I delete virgin.net email account?

You have come to the right place, Dchinds1967.  I am going to assume you are NOT a current VM broadband customer.  Please advise if I am wrong as the advice changes.

As you may know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days (1 year for virgin.net IIRC) after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the orphaned mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through https://mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

BEWARE OF SCAMMERS SAYING THEY WORK FOR VM. Do not give any personal or account information over unless the person has the VM Logo next to their username.

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I delete virgin.net email account?

Hi Dchinds1967, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Sorry you're having some issues with an old email address, this ins't good. 

As advised above if the email address isn't currently linked to an active Virgin Media account then we can delete it, this isn't something we can undo once it's been done. 

If you're happy with this then please reply to the personal message I'm sending now 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos