Menu
Iama1dogman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How do I delete my old ntlworld email address?

I am no longer a VM customer as I moved house and VM is not available in my new area. It's been nearly 1 year since I ended my VM account.  However, I am still receiving emails from my old ntlworld.com email address and would like to have the address deleted.  However, I cannot log into VM as my old user account has been deactivated.

Can the VM team please help ?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I delete my old ntlworld email address?

You have come to the right place, lama1dogman.

As you know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailbox deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (Try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Iama1dogman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks MissPasko

I use thunderbird and as a precaution I have already deleted info. from all the folders. 

I await to here from the VM team

Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Iama1dogman 

Thanks for signing up and posting to the community. 

@MissPasko is correct (thank you!) and we will be able to delete this for you. 

I'll need to private message you and pass security and once that's sorted we can get a request in to delete it. 

Thanks, 

Hollie_B

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Iama1dogman 

Following your private message I have been able to pass security and get this IT ticket logged for you under the reference P009829135 - this will take 5 business days and I will get back to you with an update once this has been done. 

In relation to the question about if you can use the same kind of email with a different provider, this should be fine, however we can't advise if this would be available through your new chosen provider. 

Let us know if you need any further help 🙂 

Thanks, 

Hollie_B

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Iama1dogman 

Just popping back to let you know that the email account has now been deleted. 

Let us know if you need any further help or advice 🙂 

Thanks, 

Hollie_B

Hollie - Forum Team

Iama1dogman
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your help Hollie_B........much appreciated

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You're welcome iama1dogman 

Have a great weekend 🙂 

Hollie_B

Hollie - Forum Team

0 Kudos