Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Help Shutting Down Old Email Account Registering As Active

Hi, I had an email account through our Virgin Broadband several years ago now (at least four /five). We were told our accounts would be shut down when we left. Unfortunately, this old email is a sign in for an old online account elsehwere which I'm currently locked out of, having forgotten the password. The company informed me that they are currently unable to reset my account for me as the virgin email address is showing as 'active' to them, which theorectically means I should be able to just reset my password via my Virgin email rather than the whole account, which is why they need it to be shut down first. They have given me a code to pass on to Virgin to find and deactivate the account, but I can't get through on the phone as we aren't currently with Virgin.

For info, I have double checked and I am unable to sign into my Virgin email. As I expected it says it does not recognise the email account. So, rock and hard place situation. I definately have not used the account in years so from my point of view it's not active.

I've seen a couple of others post with a similar issue and they had a response to say it could be worked out. Hoping that's the case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Help Shutting Down Old Email Account Registering As Active

You have come to the right place, PopArt101.

As you know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer, according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the orphaned mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through https://mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

BEWARE OF SCAMMERS SAYING THEY WORK FOR VM. Do not give any personal or account information over unless the person has the VM Logo next to their username.

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. That's really helpful.

Just realised I marked the answer as helpful (which it was), but now read that this means the question is considered solved?? Will someone from the VM forum team still visit this thread?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ye they will get here but might take up to a week

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes they will.  For future reference best to use the kudos button to say thanks.  Save the helpful answer button for the final solution.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon PopArt101,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see you've been having issue with your former E-Mail account. I can seek to have this removed for you.

Please check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a PM from me

Kindest regards

David_Bn

0 Kudos