Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Help - My IP address is Blacklisted

Hi,

I tried to join a couple of forums nad they just ignored me so I thought I'd check to see if I was blacklisted. I found out that my IP is in fact blacklisted on about 4 antispam sites. It then clicked with something else - I work for a large corporation and was sent a block email which had around 50 peoples names on it. When I responded to my bosses and they replied back, I could see that my response had 'suspected spam' on it.

Could it have started with this block email? But I get a lot of spam to my main virginmedia email address (ntlworld one), so could it be from this? However, it only seems to have started with the work block email (my replies having 'suspected spam' on them).

Is there anything I can do about this? I've got a potentially serious health condition and when I recently wrote to my consultant, it again said I was a spammer. It's embarrassing.

Can Virginmedia customer support help?

Any advice would be appreciated,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Help - My IP address is Blacklisted

no. Your IP address should be on some DNS blocklists.

When you send email you don't send them from your IP address. you send them though your providers SMTP server

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Which antispam sites is your external public IP listed on?  Are you having any problems using email clients from your home broadband connection?

If Spamhaus.org shows you on the anything but the PBL (which is the normal list for private home IP addreses), let us know and we can help you assess if it is a problem and what to do.  We may never know how it started, but we can certainly try to help get it sorted out.

Don't post your IP address here, or any other personal information.  Just the results and general information.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi MissPasko,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not computer savvy so hope the following is the info I need to provide. I typed 'is my ip address blocked/' and clicked onto one of the websites that came up. These were the ones that had a red cross against them.

dyn.nszones.com

bl.nszones.com

dnsbl.sorbs.net

dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net

dul.pacifier.net

I don't know what these websites are as I've never been on them. Are they some sort of Spam Police?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Look this can be complicated but you haven't checked properly yet so lets start with some basic information and go from there.

As apcyberax has said when you send e-mail the receiving server does not normally check your home IP address. What it looks at is the IP address of the sending server, that is the server of your ISP.  So it normally only matters if your ISPs server gets blacklisted for sending spam as can happen. VM are not immune to that. The fact that your home IP address is on a blacklist shouldn't affect e-mail sending, except in one set of circumstances which are peculiar to VM. It might have an affect when the e-mail arrives at the other end, which is what you may be seeing. We do need to check your IP address. But not in the way you have done. Something much simpler. Don't worry about what the results mean,. We'll interpret that for you when you tell us the result.

First thing is get your IP address. Do not search for "blacklisted IP" or anything like that. Just type IP into a Google search bar and note down the numerical result. The full stops matter.

The go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and type the IP address in the top block. You'll get a result in a few seconds.

Then report the result here. We just need to know what list (of the three that come up) the address is on, if any. That's all. For heavens sake do not disclose on this Forum the actual IP address. That is private information.

After we have that information we'll look at the next steps.

Finally there are spam police out there (as you so eloquently put it). Public companies and groups of volunteers provide anti-spam services to the whole of the internet community (that includes you if you but knew it). Spamhaus is a bunch of volunteers which helps collect data on which IPs are sending spam and which IPs shouldn't be sending anything via e-mail including spam but are. They provide that data to ISPs for them to use in deciding what e-mail to accept, reject or mark as spam. It's just one of the ways that the internet tries to protect itself from these scoundrels (spammers). 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowardML,

I did as you advised; Spamhaus Project says that I'm not on SBL, PBL or XBL. Does that mean my IP address is not blacklisted? Why have my recent emails to bosses (it's a public corporation I work for) and the nhs been flagged as 'suspected spam'? I have never experienced this before. I've sent an email to my work email address to see exactly what it says. I'll check this week, when I'm back at work

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You aren't blacklisted where it matters. You are right, we'd need to see the e-mail headers at the other end. Just a sample one will do. Edit out the name before the 'symbol in any e-mail addresses.

But I have a suspicion. Are you sending via VM's servers e-mails using your corporate e-mail address. Because if you are then is a sure bet that you'll be getting the results that you are seeing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@AK222 wrote:

Hi MissPasko,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not computer savvy so hope the following is the info I need to provide. I typed 'is my ip address blocked/' and clicked onto one of the websites that came up. These were the ones that had a red cross against them.

dyn.nszones.com

bl.nszones.com

dnsbl.sorbs.net

dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net

dul.pacifier.net

I don't know what these websites are as I've never been on them. Are they some sort of Spam Police?

These aren't websites.  They also should be of no concern to you unless you run an email server.  If you send email using a program such as Outlook or Thunderbird via an email service then your IP is not checked.

dnsbl.sorbs.net is the aggregate zone for SORBS i.e. all their blacklists combined into one lookup.  You are on there because you are on dnsbl.sorbs.net

Likewise you are on bl.zones.com blacklist because you are listed on dyn.nszones.com

I'm surprised that you are not on Spamhaus PBL as well, but while all Dynamic addresses SHOULD be on the PBL some of them get missed off.

All the blacklists you are listed on.

dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net
dyn.nszones.com
dul.pacifier.net

Are lists of IP addresses that are allocated via DHCP.  Virtually ALL residential IP's SHOULD be listed on these.  They are not an indication that you are sending spam, they are merely lists of IP addresses that SHOULD not be running mail servers.

Tim

0 Kudos