Menu
gmiller
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Has virgin.net security been compromised?

I have 2 virgin.net accounts in different locations and in the last 4 days I have received 20-30 spam emails, most saying various internet security systems need to be paid for!

I have 2 different email address, in 2 different locations, which are not connected, yet both have been bombarded by the same emails, I tried to call virgin but could not speak to anyone. Has anyone had this problem? I am blocking them then deleting them as they come in is there anything else I can do?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has virgin.net security been compromised?

its just spam. just delete them. nothing you can dp

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gmiller
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have been with Virgin from the start as you can see with the virgin.net in the title

never had spam, different accounts, same time, same spam, how did they get my address's?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Anyone that you have ever sent an email to would have your address and could have passed it on either knowingly or otherwise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

'how did they get my address'

it's much like asking how did they get my telephone number. either by lists or software that works in a similar way to a random number generator. or simply anywhere even on one occasion that your email address has been logged with.

have a look here https://haveibeenpwned.com/ type any of your email addresses in. you will see that nearly 11 billion email addresses are known to have been 'compromised' and that is just the known ones. the reality is that most email addresses are floating around on a spam list somewhere.
0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have posed this question elsewhere but, since this thread has the attention of a VIP, I will ask again. How can e-mails with Norton and McAfee in the title, with no content and sent from e-mail addresses that bear no relation to Norton or McAfee evade Virgin or Ntlworld filters. I had a couple today (my first, probably of many) that did not even arrive a junk!

I have blacklisted and blocked and maybe I will design a filter but if, as it claims, Virgin has filters, how come it misses theses obvious examples of spam?They could not be more obvious if they were headed; I AM SPAM and sent from fatherchristmas@lapland.co.moon.

apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you have to be very caseful what you block.
If you blocked all emails with mcafee in the subject if they are not from mcafee is not a good idea.

what happens when amazon emails "Offers on Mcafee".
what happens when someone emails "my mcafee is not working"

How do you know what is real and what is not.

Block real emails and you open yourself up to all sorts.

Would VM get away with blocking emails from Sky if they had offers in?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can the VM filter not block an e-mail that has no content? I don't see why any legitimate commercial company would ever send out an e-mail with no content.

Can the e-mail filter not detect e-mail addresses that are false even after customers have supplied them?

In the current situation, could not VM co-operate with McAfee and Norton to recognise which e-mail addresses from those companies are legitimate or not?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

At present the filters detailed in this post Re: Junk email are helping manage a majority of the misidentified spam I receive.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos