Menu
julian65
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hacked

Hi

I believe my account has been hacked. My emails were being forwarded to an unknown address [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]

Ive been in and changed the settings and am now receiving my emails. Can I recover the forwarded emails that I didnt recieve? 

Ive reset my password

But when I send an email it says its from "John Brennan" Which is not me! My contact data is all correct

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked

@julian65 Sorry to read this. As well as changing the password for the account you also need to change the answers to your security questions.

You should also thoroughly scan your connected devices for malware, including key trackers, which could allow any hacker to intercept your new password.

As for the emails forwarded by the rogue filter they cannot be recovered.  If you know who sent them you could ask them to resend, but that of course relies on you knowing what has gone missing.

You should be able to correct the sender name through the settings in the VM webmail interface.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
julian65
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help

I changed everything and reset passwords changed contact details, logged out and in.  Was then recieving emails but couldnt change name on my sent emails! 

Today the same thing has happened again! Emails being forwarded to same email as yesterday!

Changed everything again but now there is a different name on my sent emails!! 

Any help gratefully recieved

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@julian65 wrote:

Today the same thing has happened again! Emails being forwarded to same email as yesterday!

Before considering your email account I would strongly advise that you need to check all your online accounts such as Amazon and eBay to see if any of them have also been hacked.  Look for any fraudulent transactions. The hacker is doing this for financial gain and probably using another of your online accounts to do it. You need to make sure you have secured those accounts or the cycle will continue. 😮

The only thing you can do to secure the email account is to follow all the advice here  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

However, before doing anything else I would use malwarebytes, (free from here https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/ ) to scan your pc and/or laptop for malware. It certainly sounds as if your updated credentials are being sent back to the hacker.

.....couldnt change name on my sent emails! 

You can change the name that appears against your email address when you send emails by using your email address and password to sign in here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn It may say it is a secondary account but that does not matter. Click on "My profile",  scroll down to "Contact details" and then click on "Change" beside it to amend the name.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Julian65

Sorry to hear of the email issues and the concern this has caused,  we appreciate you taking the time to contact us via the forums and welcome to the community.

Have you been able to follow the steps in coenoby's reply in regards to changing the name? May also we worth checking in the settings to see if there are any addresses in the auto forward section.

If you still need help with this please let me know and I'll be happy to invite you in via Private Message and investigate further.

Rob 

0 Kudos
julian65
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the very helpful advice. I seem to be receiving all my emails now but when I send they are still from someone else's name. The personal details are correct. Weird eh

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's very strange julian65, without disclosing any personal information is the name or email address one you recognize?

Rob

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Try:

• select ☰ > Settings > Account > Edit (located next to the account name)
  • Is the Your name value correct; if not amend?
  • select Save
  • select Compose and confirm From field value is correct

Should the issue remain unresolved then try:

• select Compose
  • select the From field value ( 0⃝ ) and then Edit names ( 1⃝ )
    用心棒_4-1619187285365.jpeg

• delete any text from the field ( 2⃝ ),  then untick the checkbox and select Save
    用心棒_5-1619187285366.jpeg
  • confirm display name is correct and select Discard

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

julian65
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help. It's not  name I know. Weird how it doesnt show anywhere but is the name on my emails. Any advice gratefully received

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@julian65 wrote:

it doesnt show anywhere but is the name on my emails.

So are you saying you have you tried the "select ☰ > Settings > Account > Edit"  suggestion from 用心棒 in the previous post and the mystery name does not appear in the "Your name" field there either?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos