cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked ntl email

David106
Joining in

my ntlworld email address has been hacked, I have changed most of my stuff to a new email address. But they have changed the password and now I can’t login in to my email or on virgin to reset it. When I try to login with forgot password on virgin it says account not recognised. Is there anyway to get back into my email or report/cancel the email address for being hacked?

6 REPLIES 6

albob
Superfast

Has it been hacked though? or just locked by Virgin..

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-accounts-locked-mailbox-unable-unable-to-access-ema...

Also - do you have an active Broadband account with Virgin ? (if not account is liable to be deleted.. 😞     )

It’s been hacked kept getting scam email with the actual password wrote in it. But couldn’t find how to reset, now can’t log in and it has logged me out of my emails so can’t see what’s been sent or received. I have a virgin account but it’s on a different email. 

Bad time to have problems - unfortunately you will have to wait until the VM staff come back to work before you can get it sorted..

'It’s been hacked kept getting scam email with the actual password wrote in it'

they are usually breaches elsewhere particularly if you use the same password more than once on different websites and many people do. is it an email you cannot reply to ie it shows as sent from yourself. if it is, no hack has taken place but likely due to the aforementioned leak of data on another website.

you can check on previous breaches, which usually cover millions of email addresses - https://haveibeenpwned.com/

you can also check passwords to see where the breach is most likely come from - https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@David106 wrote:

When I try to login with forgot password on virgin it says account not recognised.

That strongly suggests that your ntlworld account has been closed by VM , or is in the process of being closed.

You said that "I have a virgin account but it’s on a different email"  and that suggests to me that your Ntlworld email account is no longer linked to a live Virgin Media broadband account. Such "orphan" accounts are likely to be closed by VM at any time 90days after the broadband account has been closed.  VM do often seem to leave such accounts open for years after they should have been closed but when they do close them they never give any notice to the account holder.

To sum up, from what I understand the likelihood is that your account has not been hacked but is being closed by VM as part of their housekeeping.

You could try sending a test email to the Ntlworld address to see if you get a "username does not exist"  error back. However, if you don't, it just means that VM deletion process has not completed and the mailbox still exists but VM have removed access to it.

The Forum Team can arrange to get it fully deleted for you which is what you seem to be asking for anyway.

Coenoby.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @David106,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.

I can have a further look into this issue for you but would need to send over a private message, so that we can confirm a few details and get the issues looked into.

Please look out for the private message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L