Menu
Robb1901
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hacked email

I’m a Virginmedia customer and have been on and off for years.

I’ve got a Virginmedia email address which I created around 5-6 years ago before we switched to BT (we switched back to Virginmedia 2 years ago)

the email address I set up originally has been hacked and I can’t access the change password page because the email address is no longer recognised by the Virginmedia website.

I’ve had a conversation over text with someone at Virgin but they keep asking me for an account number which I no longer have and the link they keep sending me to verify my details doesn’t work!

ive tried everything and am at my wits end. No one at Virgin wants to help. 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hacked email

@Robb1901 wrote:

"the email address I set up originally has been hacked and I can’t access the change password page because the email address is no longer recognised by the Virginmedia website."

Do you have any other evidence that the email account has been hacked other than the fact that you cannot access it? The reason I ask is that you say:

"I’ve got a Virginmedia email address which I created around 5-6 years ago before we switched to BT"

That means that your email account has been "orphaned" (it is no longer attached to a live Broadband account). As such it may well be that Virgin Media have deleted the account or are in the process of doing so. Orphan accounts should be deleted 90 days after the Broadband account is closed but VM are often very slow in doing their housework.😉

Try entering your email address here https://mailtester.com/ and see whether it comes up with "email address is valid" or "email address does not exist on this server". Unfortunately, even if it comes up as valid it does not mean that the address is still live because VM's deletion process sometimes leaves remnants behind even though the address is inaccessible.

"ive tried everything and am at my wits end. No one at Virgin wants to help."

Hopefully the VM Forum Team (VM employees) will be more helpful although they may not be able to restore access to the account. They will contact you via the Forum so just sit tight. Let us know the answers to my questions though because that will be useful information for the Forum Team.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Robb1901
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Amazing response thank you. Yes the email is still showing as active.

i had a number of password reset changes that came thru to the mailbox and last night my associates Twitter account was hacked and so I know that it came as  result from my email account being compromised.

ive tried contact VM but there’s no option last on their phone lines to speak to someone without an account number.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Robb1901 wrote:

i had a number of password reset changes that came thru to the mailbox and last night my associates Twitter account was hacked and so I know that it came as  result from my email account being compromised.

OK, so it definitely looks as if your email account has been compromised.

The Forum Team will do what they can for you.

You said at the outset that you are still a VM customer, it is just that the email account in question is not attached to your current Broadband account. In my experience it is not possible to simply add that address to your Broadband account.

The Forum Team could certainly arrange for that  email account to be deleted or possibly allow you access to the account. However, the fact is that you are living on borrowed time because that orphaned email account could be deleted by VM's housekeeping process at any time.

The only option would be to use what VM call a "Move and transfer" procedure but that would mean that any existing email accounts on your Broadband account would be deleted and replaced by this new one. You might like to think about that.

In the meantime keep a look out for one of the Forum Team to contact you on this thread but it might take a day or so.

BTW Thank you for flagging my post as a Helpful Answer, much appreciated. However, the Forum Team may interpret that as a sign that you feel your problem has been solved and so they may overlook it. I suggest that you click on 'Post Options' in that post and unflag the HelpfulAnswer tag.

Hopefully that all makes sense. 🙂

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Robb1901
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Great thanks for taking the time out to provide all of the information you have. I really do appreciate it. Frankly because of the hassle I’ve had, I’d be happy for the account just to be completely deactivated right now. I’ve moved everything over to another email I have and I will set up a new email account if needs be.So hopefully I can get them to do that. 

coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Robb1901 wrote:

I’d be happy for the account just to be completely deactivated right now. I’ve moved everything over to another email I have and I will set up a new email account if needs be.So hopefully I can get them to do that. 

Good choice. 👍   The Forum Team can certainly do that for you. Sit tight and wait for them to contact you here.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and in view of the fact that hackers appear to be using your account for their own evil ends,  I'll ask one of the VIP posters if they will be kind enough to escalate this if it looks as if your thread has been overlooked. 😉

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robb1901,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your email being hacked .

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.