Menu
KeetDavies123
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hacked email account

I recently discovered my inbox empty on my Microsoft email account except for 6 'delivery failure' notices none of which related to emails I had sent. My sent box was full of emails I had not sent. On logging into my account on the Virgin Media webpage I discovered my last 6 months emails had been deleted. I telephoned Virgin and was assured they couldn't be hacked and it was a Microsoft issue.

I have since discovered that emails hadn't been deleted from a windows live email account on my previous laptop and discovered somebody had entered an email address in my 'forward emails' setting. Clearly it is my Virgin account that has been hacked. I have removed the forwarding email address and changed my password. I have 3 questions:

1) Is there anything else I can do?

2) Can I recover my deleted emails?

3) Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked email account

Good morning @KeetDavies123 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

Did you wipe your hard drive before selling the old laptop? IT could be that the email address was still logged in or the password remembered on the old laptop.

You have changed the password so this will stop any further issues going forward. Unfortunately there wouldn't be any way to recover the deleted emails unless they are in the recently deleted folder.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
KeetDavies123
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Zak. I haven't sold the old laptop, I still have it.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the misunderstanding there. 

I can check over your account to make sure that everything is in check from this end? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
KeetDavies123
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak.

Yes please. Apologies, you are dealing with a novice, What do you need from me and how do i provide it confidentially?

Regards

Keith

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I will pop you over a PM (you can find this in the purple envelope on the top right of the screen) 

You can verify that I work for virgin media by visiting our Good folk to know

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
KeetDavies123
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hacking/Deleted emails

Following my post on Saturday, several emails that I know were in my inbox and in my sent items have disappeared. Is there a Virgin employee online that can advise me if it's possible to see if anyone has logged into my account please?

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacking/Deleted emails

Hi there @KeetDavies123 

So sorry this has happened, I can see that my colleague is looking into this for you, but just to let you know that we are unable to see if anyone has been logging into your mailbox, and we would recommend resetting the password as soon as possible. 

Thank you. 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos