Menu
sihay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hacked e mail

1. Please help can vigin teck help as I'm pretty sure my e mail address has been hacked as I can not receive email  I can send  !
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked e mail

Follow ALL the steps set out here, paying particular attention to checking for forwarding rules and filters as well as changing password and security answers.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sihay
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes have done above the only thing I could not find is anything about fwd email so i trust that is not in place .i feel my acc has been hacked and the mail is being diverted! I'm not that teck mind but have followed above it would be good to be able to talk to vigin security teck team about this but where can I get this help ?Have  reported  to the action fraud team  police 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@sihay wrote:

the only thing I could not find is anything about fwd email so i trust that is not in place .i feel my acc has been hacked and the mail is being diverted! I'm not that teck mind

Unfortunately that advice from VM does not cover the other option that hackers can use to divert your VM emails elsewhere. That is by using the filter rules option that Graham_A mentioned in his post.

However you can easily check whether the hackers have set up a filter or rule in your VM account. You do not need any technical expertise.😉

Sign directly into your email account from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

Then click the system menu icon (the 3 horizontal bars) on the right side of the menu bar and from the drop down list click on Settings.

Expand (click) the E-mail options.

Select (click) Filter Rules.

That will display any filters set up on your account and you can delete or disable any that you do not recognise.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
sihay
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes thanks for pointing out again and yes found a email address to fwd too !? Can I ask do I need to put my own e mail into fwd address to restore incoming mail ? And enable or not and what is (Process subsequent rules )should I tick or leave blank ?  Have taken screen shot of hackers mail address for police .so thanks for your help much appreciated 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@sihay wrote:

Yes thanks for pointing out again and yes found a email address to fwd too !? Can I ask do I need to put my own e mail into fwd address to restore incoming mail ? And enable or not and what is (Process subsequent rules )should I tick or leave blank ?  Have taken screen shot of hackers mail address for police .so thanks for your help much appreciated 

No, you don't need anything set in forwarding or filters unless you do actually want to redirect mail to a different address.  Just delete any rogue ones that the hacker has set up.  

New incoming mail should then feed into your inbox.  Unfortunately anything that has been forwarded in the mean time cannot be retrieved.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@sihay wrote:

Have taken screen shot of hackers mail address for police .

Just bear in mind that the address your email was being forwarded to was definitely NOT the hacker's own address. That address will belong to another innocent victim, like yourself who has had their email account 'stolen' by the hacker. That is the way hackers / scammers always operate to hide their tracks.

Also, you must check any online accounts (such as Amazon, Ebay, online banking etc) that are linked to your VM email address. It is unlikely that the hacker will have gone to all this trouble unless they were planning to access your online  accounts to make fraudulent transactions. 😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer