Menu
juliedean28
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hacked and changed my security questions

I recently got hacked on my email address @ntlworld.com.   I rung up Virgin Media and explained as when I tried to set a new passcode the security questions had been hacked as well as they came back as wrong (they were simple questions like place of birth and postcode so I could have got them wrong).     The tech support person was brilliant and let me change my password over the phone.

A few days later my mums account - @ntlworld.com was also hacked and she had the same problem with security questions being hacked too.   She rang the tech support team and they would not  do the password on line  (even though she is over 80 and doesnt understand the internet).   They said her email was linked to mine and that I could change it online with my password but it doesnt work.  I called again and they wouldnt speak to me as its not my account and called her and just said the same.

I really need help as dont know what to do next?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked and changed my security questions

The first thing needed is to establish the facts about who the account holder is.  Do both you and your mum have separate Virgin Media broadband accounts or are both email addresses linked to one account?  If the later whose account are they linked to?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
juliedean28
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for responding. We both have separate broadband accounts but when she registered they asked for an email address she could use as a security backup and she gave them my email ( that is the only link)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK, so if I have understood correctly,  the email address that you are now trying to change the password for is an ntlworld one on your mum's VM broadband account.

In which case VM will only deal directly with your mum to resolve this.  Are you able to be with her when she rings again to help her through the process.  The Forum Team on here will not be able to help unless you can set up a community account for her to use.  I appreciate this may not be possible as she is elderly and not confident on the internet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
juliedean28
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunatley she is currently being shielded so I cant be with her.      I'm just worried what the hacker is using her email for while we havent secured it.   I wish they could just shut it down until I can be with my Mum.     Thank you

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I will flag this to the Forum Team (VM staff) in case they have any ideas as to how this can be resolved.  Wait for them to reply to this thread.  It may be later today but might not be until Monday.

0 Kudos
juliedean28
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank  you so much for your help!    You have been so kind.

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi juliedean28, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about what has happened. 

I will private message you now so we can look into this. 

^Martin