cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked Virgin Media Account

minniemouse
Tuning in

Had an email on my ntlworld address. Obviously Virgin has been hacked it is the only place I use the password   which was clearly displayed on the email. Virgin have now changed my password. I am still receiving mail on my other devices without changing any passwords. Can anyone explain why and what do I need to do. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@minniemouse

"Obviously Virgin has been hacked"

Maybe, but you can find out whether your password has been compromised in a data breach by going to this website https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and entering your email address. That should show exactly which data breach was responsible.

On the other hand it could have been picked up by malware on your device so run a full antivirus and malware scan of your devices.

"I am still receiving mail on my other devices without changing any passwords. Can anyone explain why and what do I need to do"

For the moment, focusing on what you need to do, I would say that you need to reset the password again yourself:

1. to makes sure it really does get changed
  2. because there is now an extra step if you use email apps or clients rather than VM's webmail service  to manage your emails on various devices. By that I mean software such as Microsoft Mail / Outlook or third party email apps on your phone or other devices.

Those email apps and clients now have to use what VM refer to as "an email app password" which you have to generate and then use to update the password in any email apps you use.

To keep this post simple I have added the full instructions at the end.

I'm not entirely sure I have answered your underlying question but post back if you need anything-else.

Coenoby

To reset an email account password sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the VM email address and existing password of the account you wish to reset.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. While you are on that page, make sure you set up a Password Recovery Question.

Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in each of your  email apps on your various devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@minniemouse

"Obviously Virgin has been hacked"

Maybe, but you can find out whether your password has been compromised in a data breach by going to this website https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and entering your email address. That should show exactly which data breach was responsible.

On the other hand it could have been picked up by malware on your device so run a full antivirus and malware scan of your devices.

"I am still receiving mail on my other devices without changing any passwords. Can anyone explain why and what do I need to do"

For the moment, focusing on what you need to do, I would say that you need to reset the password again yourself:

1. to makes sure it really does get changed
  2. because there is now an extra step if you use email apps or clients rather than VM's webmail service  to manage your emails on various devices. By that I mean software such as Microsoft Mail / Outlook or third party email apps on your phone or other devices.

Those email apps and clients now have to use what VM refer to as "an email app password" which you have to generate and then use to update the password in any email apps you use.

To keep this post simple I have added the full instructions at the end.

I'm not entirely sure I have answered your underlying question but post back if you need anything-else.

Coenoby

To reset an email account password sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the VM email address and existing password of the account you wish to reset.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. While you are on that page, make sure you set up a Password Recovery Question.

Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in each of your  email apps on your various devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

minniemouse
Tuning in

Ntlworld. email hacked. Virgin changed password as I believe it was from their site.. Changed password and been working fine for a week. Now have been locked out since Friday. Have spoken to Virgin they have tried to reset, the person was unable to so has now escalated. Been told 3 -5 working days. Can someone please please help. This is a total nightmare. Thank you

Hi @minniemouse 👋,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear your mailbox has been hacked. 

I would love to help you further so will pop you a PM 📩 now to confirm some details and we can take it from there.

Speak to you soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

minniemouse
Tuning in

Hi,

Can someone please help. My email account was breached nearly 2 weeks ago. Virgin changed my password. The I changed it next day worked fine on all devices for over a week. The the account was locked. Finally today have been given a new password. I can now sign into Virgin media with the browser. Iphone mail will not work Thunderbird on computer just says password fail Im using the same for both devices. Virgin have said as long as I can sign in with web browser that is all they need to do. They then passed me to a gadget team for £3.99 a month to sort it remotely.

This is absolutely ridiculous everything was working ok until the security breach at Virgin, and now they want me to pay.

Can anyone please help.  

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@minniemouse As stated in reply to your other thread on this subject you now need to create an app password to use with the mail app on your phone and in Thunderbird.

Follow these instructions and enter the app password that you generate into the password fields in your mail apps.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thank you so much Graham i have been trying to sort this since midday not 1 person offered this info. Only to pay for help. Cannot wait until my contract is up then I'm off.

I’m absolutely livid with virgin media and the service they offer. It has taken a person who doesn’t work with Virgin to solve my issue. Yes you did private message me on Monday not heard a thing since. This is a problem with most companies they do not care as peoples problems do not impact on their lives. 

MickeyMo1
Joining in

Hi,

My Blueyonder email account (which I have had from the beginning) has been hacked and I cannot get any assistance from either Virgin Media (my former provider) or Blueyonder. I can’t login to either site as it says I am not recognized, so I can only assume the hacker has changed my details. Is there anything I can do to reset my password or have I lost this account for ever?

Many thanks.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MickeyMo1 wrote:

I cannot get any assistance from either Virgin Media (my former provider) or Blueyonder.

Blueyonder is one of Virgin Media's legacy email domains so if you still had a VM broadband account they would provide support for your Blueyonder email account.

However, VM should have deleted that email account 90 days after the VM broadband account was closed.

As a result, all VM can do for you now is to delete that  Blueyonder account to prevent the hacker using it.

One of the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) can arrange to get that done. Sadly they will not be able to reset the password to allow you to regain access.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for.  One of the forum team will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.

Coenoby