Menu
KHumble
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hacked Account

Hi All,

I don't know where or how we can get help.

Virgin Media have no live chat or phone active and my Dad's account has been compromised and we can't get back into it, the person has changed the email and password on it and has got into the other email so we can't get the backup email either.

They could change anything, we've tried reporting it to fraud but they will take too long.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked Account

VM do still have an active phone support system, although with fewer operators currently.

However, you may be able to get a speedier response via the forum in this instance.

Are you sure this is a case of hacking, rather than the account being locked by VM for security reasons?

What error message do you get when trying to access the account via VM webmail?

Also, can you confirm that your Dad has a current VM broadband account to which the email address concerned is attached?

I will flag this to the Forum Team pending your response.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ks_farm
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't work for Virgin but just seen your post. Sorry to hear whats happen that sounds like a nightmare. My advice would be to immediately start changing passwords and email addresses that you have associated with the two email accounts. 

1) Set up a new Gmail free email account

2) Use your mobile number to double verify your new Gmail account

3) Any account that you use your hacked email for, like banks, twitter, facebook, utilities. start changing the password and emails for all accounts

Might seem like commonsense but sometimes when you panic you forget the obvious.

Good luck

KHumble
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Its 100% a hack, they've changed the email address on Virgin Medias, they changed the password and they didn't stop at Virgin Media either (Amazon, EA, his email accounts on outlook)

But virgin media I am trying to at least see if we can resolve

0 Kudos
KHumble
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We would do that but they've hacked all emails, so we cant get into anything at all.

0 Kudos
KHumble
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Oh and my Dads email is the primary on my account, it's been changed and hacked, mine is safe though at the moment.
We have no way to get into it and I am not sure what the new email is.

0 Kudos
ks_farm
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Enter your hacked email address into this data breach search tool it might highlight how they got into your account and shed some light on what has happened:
https://www.fasterbroadband.co.uk/tools/data-breach-search
coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@KHumble wrote:

But virgin media I am trying to at least see if we can resolve

Assuming that your Dad is still a Virgin Media Broadband customer this help sheet gives you comprehensive advice on how you can regain control and secure his Virgin Media account.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked 

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
KHumble
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The problem is we have no way of getting back into the account, they changed the password and the backup email.

We have 0 ties to that account.

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos