cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail sign in changes - will they affect virgin email accounts?

AndyInMancheste
Dialled in

I received an email from Google, with the subject:

"On 30 May, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology".

This effectively means that older versions of Outlook, and Outlook Express, which I still use, and have been happy with for years, will no longer work with Gmail. 

As far as I know, Virgin's email system is provided by Google, so I have to ask if the same atrocity is going to be perpetrated on my Virgin email accounts.

Here is the body of their email:

Google
On 30 May, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology

To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.

What do you need to do?
Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AndyInMancheste  Virgin Media Mail is not provided by Google but by a partner company in the Liberty Global group.

Google withdrew their Google apps email provision previously used by VM in 2016 (approx).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AndyInMancheste  Virgin Media Mail is not provided by Google but by a partner company in the Liberty Global group.

Google withdrew their Google apps email provision previously used by VM in 2016 (approx).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

That's promising.  I've been with Virgin longer than that, but I don't recall ever being told their email was no longer provided by Google.

I hope Virgin don't decide to impose the same "We're doing this for your own good" measures.  I've used POP email since I first had an internet connection, and that's what I want to keep using.

I will be switching away from using Gmail for absolutely everything I can.  Hopefully one day, a monopolies commission will break them up, so I can stop using it to sign in to YouTube too.