Menu
JohnOrrett
Dialled in
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Getting rid of email aliases

Hi all, for some reason I am receiving a lot more spam than usual. I'm blocking senders etc. in VM but notice that a lot are from alias mailboxes linked to my primary email account. My wife has the same issue, I set up a number of email addresses for her and although they are not configured in Outlook, they are still being received in her primary account.

I seem to remember reading a good while ago that the aliases cannot be removed unless you close the primary email account. Is that still true?

I did set up email filter rules in Outlook, but even though I say permanently delete, as I think it is IMAP they still appear in the spam email folder and have to be deleted manually.

Many thanks,

John

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting rid of email aliases

blueyonder.co.uk email addresses could have up to 3 alias email address and it is likely these are responsible for the issue you are seeing. It is no longer possible to manage such aliases but the forum team can remove them on request from the account holder. Should you want to do this post back here to have the thread flagged to the forum team.

BTW, the likely reason why your Outlook filters are not permanently deleting these messages is because they never see them as Virgin Media's spam filters have already directed them to your spam folder.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

JohnOrrett
Dialled in
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the assistance VIP, much appreciated. Can a mod contact me please to help remove some aliases.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Issue flagged to forum team; be aware it can take them a few hour / days to respond.

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hello John,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into, I will be more than happy to help get these aliases deleted. 

How many do you need removing? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
JohnOrrett
Dialled in
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

A couple from my primary account and I think 3 linked to my wife's. Let me know what you need or message me directly.

Thanks, John

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Okay, thats fine thanks for getting back to me John 🙂

I'll send you a PM now so we can get started. 

Speak soon!

Megan_L

0 Kudos
JohnOrrett
Dialled in
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi, following on from this thread, I am receiving the below errors. It says 'sending 3 of 3' but there is only one message in the blueyonder outbox.

email error.JPG

Thanks, John

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked the list of email accounts that you have set up in Outlook (under account settings) to make sure the alias addresses are not set up as well as the primary address?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JohnOrrett
Dialled in
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham, thanks for replying. Only primary addresses are set up. Support are investigating as they were working on removing the aliase.

Regards, John

0 Kudos