cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genuine emails being blocked by VM

Sshhhh1
Tuning in

Hi,

I have been in conversation with the sender of specific emails which are not coming through to either my inbox or junk folder for over 3 weeks. They are unable to do anything further for me because VM are blocking the emails.

The emails are password reset emails which is frustrating because I need to get into my account with the sender so that I can make payments.

VM please sort this issue out and stop blocking emails as genuine emails are not being received and this is leading to numerous issues.

Kindest Regards

8 REPLIES 8

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sshhhh1 wrote:

I have been in conversation with the sender of specific emails which are not coming through to either my inbox or junk folder for over 3 weeks. They are unable to do anything further for me because VM are blocking the emails.

Do they have the bounce back message from Virgin Media stating why they refused to accept the message for delivery?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sshhhh1,

Thank you for your post. 

I'm very sorry to hear about your email issue. 

Have you been able to check out the link provided by Ronald258?

^Martin

Hi @Martin_N

I have had a look at the link provided by Ronald258 but I have been unable to resolve my issue.

Kindest Regards,

Sophia

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sshhhh1 wrote:

I have had a look at the link provided by Ronald258 but I have been unable to resolve my issue.

There are three things that are not mentioned in the thread that you could consider:

1).  In the example in that thread it was possible to determine why Virgin Media was blocking the emails but only because the original poster (Alf28)  was able to post the bounce back error message the sending organisation was getting back from VM.

In that case, the servers of the email service sending those emails to VM were on an international blacklist as senders of spam.That might be the case here but equally it could be due to a number of other reasons.

Therefore, as @用心棒 posted here on 27th May, it would really help to know what error message the sending company is getting back from VM. That might state clearly why VM rejected the emails but, even if the reason is still not clear, it would at least give a clue.

Sadly, I know from personal experience that the customer service staff in most companies either cannot or do not want to give that information in these  circumstances. As you have already experienced in most cases they just fob you off with a vague "VM are blocking the email" without giving any more detail even though they probably do have access to the error message.

2) It is unlikely but still worth checking whether it is something in your VM Webmail account that is stopping those emails from getting into your email account.

To do that, sign into your VM email account via the VM Website from here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn . Then follow steps 1 - 4 below to check whether there are any Filter Rules set up in your account.

filter rules steps 2.png

If there are any then disable them for the time being and see whether any new emails from that sender come through ok. The reason I suggest that is because those Filter Rules can sometimes have unintended and unexpected consequences so it's a good idea to rule them out as a potential cause.

3) Not what you want to hear I know but it may be best in the long run to move away from using a VM email account at least in conjunction with any online accounts, such as the one you are currently trying to reset.

Three main reasons for that:

• Firstly, dedicated email services such as Gmail and Microsoft Outlook.com will be more reliable and less prone to blocking genuine emails.See here for a review of the best https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts 
  • Secondly, they will be more reliable
  • Thirdly, if / when you switch to another broadband suppler you will lose the use of your VM email accounts. (Historically, most ISPs started providing "free" email accounts to their customers as a way of deterring them from switching to another broadband provider.) Therefore start thet process now rather than having to do it in a rush when you cease to be a VM broadband customer.

Finally, there is no magic bullet in cases like this but sight of the error message that VM are sending out or at least (if it is appropriate) the name of the organisation that VM are blocking would help the VM Forum Team to take this forward to the relevant VM email security team.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Coenoby,

I have asked the sender for details from the bounce back email.

Surprisingly, I am receiving emails from the domain but just not the ones from their support email address which is frustrating!

Kindest Regards

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sshhhh1 wrote:

Surprisingly, I am receiving emails from the domain but just not the ones from their support email address which is frustrating!

Actually, that's not altogether surprising.

Many large organisations effectively have more that one email system but using the same domain name. They often have one for ad hoc emails, from Customer Support staff for example, and another for transactional or marketing emails. Transactional emails would include things like registration emails, password resets and confirmation emails. Marketing emails would be things such as regular newsletters and mail shots for special promotions.

Those transactional and marketing emails are often handled by a third party automated system. If the mail settings for that automated system are not set up correctly that can cause problems. For example, it may result in receiving email systems (in this case VM) wrongly identifying those outgoing emails as having a spoofed (faked) sending address.

In the past, VM have appeared to be quite strict on all the necessary settings for incoming mail being absolutely correct.

Hopefully the sender will be forthcoming with that bounce message.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Sshhhh1

Thank you for responding back onto our community forums, If you can let us know once you find out if there's a bounce back message that the sender is receiving? Also have you had a look at the spam filter rules as suggested by @coenoby?

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide