cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forwarding/importing Virgin Media emails to Gmail/Google workspace email

SuziQ69
Tuning in

I am unable to set up forwarding from my Virgin Media email (I receive the error message Unable to load your auto forward settings. Please retry later.) and so tried to add the account instead via the GMail account but that isn't working either. I get the error message There was a problem while connecting to imap.virginmedia.com.

I used the details:

* My email address

* Password (not sure whether to use my own password or the Virgin Media App password)

* POP server: imap.virginmedia.com

* Port: 993

Can anyone help as I would like to move all my emails to the Gmail workspace email account instead of using Virgin Media? Thanks so much

9 REPLIES 9

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For a third party email app such as Gmail you need to use the generated app password not the webmail password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If you log into your Virgin Media webmail account, don't you just enable auto forward and provide the recipient email address. This only works for emails from that date.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks Graham - I have tried the generated app password but unfortunately I still receive the message 'There was a problem while connecting to imap.virginmedia.com'

Unfortunately that isn't working - I have tried for weeks and always receive the error message 'Unable to load your auto forward settings. Please retry later.'

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SuziQ69  The VM email servers were playing up earlier this evening so it may be worth trying again.  Failing that generate a new app password to use.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks again Graham - it was a brand new password so maybe it's the servers. I have been trying to do this for a couple of weeks and having no success at all. I had hoped the newly generated password would have solved it. Do you think the settings I'm using are correct (the POP and Port info)? Thanks so much

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SuziQ69  Sorry that I didn't spot this earlier.  The port number for POP3 is 995 not 993.

The server is POP3.virginmedia.com

See here for the full settings:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SuziQ69 wrote:

I used the details:

* My email address

* Password (not sure whether to use my own password or the Virgin Media App password)

* POP server: imap.virginmedia.com

* Port: 993

Can anyone help as I would like to move all my emails to the Gmail workspace email account instead of using Virgin Media? Thanks so much

The above settings are muddled, i.e. POP3 server is set to IMAP server name and port. The correct settings are either:

Account typeIMAP POP3
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com richard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port993 995
AuthenticationApp Password App Password
SSL/TLSYes Yes
Server hostimap.virginmedia.com pop3.virginmedia.com

Concerning inability to set auto-forward, can you confirm an email can be sent from webmail?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

It worked! Thank you SO much!