cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder contents not showing on Android devices

St_Ivo
Tuning in

My emailis xxx.xxx@ntlworld.com and it's been generally fine since I started many years ago!

The account is setup as IMAP and although I do use the web based system I mostly access emails either using Outlook on a Windows 10 PC or on a Galaxy S9 android phone.

I have many folders which serve as my complete filing cabinet. All has been fine until I recently acquired a new Galaxy S21 which I set up much the same as the S9. At that point, all the contents of all the folders have disappeared - on BOTH android devices. The Folders still show but no emails within them. The contents do however show on both the web and my Windows PC.

I've searched on here for a solution but can't find anything that matches my situation. Am I missing a vital stage in the setup or is it a deeper problem with syncing across web/Windows and Android?

Would be grateful for any help or advice.

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@St_Ivo wrote:

You don't say which email app you are using on your phones but in truth the set up is pretty straight forward for all of them. I use the Gmail app on my Android phone and that syncs everything from the VM email account I added to it.

It would be worth checking the IMAP subscriptions in your VM webmail account to make sure all your folders are subscribed.

• Sign into your webmail account, click on the settings icon (the cog symbol) to the top right of the page.
  • Then click on "Email" in  the menu on the left hand side
  • To the right of the page you will see a box "Change IMAP subscriptions".
  • Click on that and you will see a list of all the folders in your email account.
  • Make sure all the folders are ticked. You may have to scroll down if you have a lot of folders.
  • Once you have done that click on Save

Then restart the email app on your phone and see if the email emails appear.

Try that and post back with the results.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Coenoby,

Many thanks for your response.

I've just checked that and all folders ARE subscribed.

I'm using Outlook for Android app on the S21 for my VM account, the GMail app for a gmail account and Samsung's email app for a couple of Outlook accounts. Only the VM account has folders so I can't compare it with the other apps. Maybe I should abandon Outlook and just use gmail on the phone??

Thanks again.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@St_Ivo wrote:

I've just checked that and all folders ARE subscribed.

. Maybe I should abandon Outlook and just use gmail on the phone??

Thanks for coming back, I rather expected the folders would be subscribed but it was worth checking to be sure.

You can certainly use the Gmail app to manage multiple email accounts from different providers. To be honest I do most of my emailing from my laptop but the Gmail app on my phone seems to work fine when I need to use it.

Here's a link on how to set up other accounts on the Gmail app if you'd like to try it out. https://support.google.com/mail/answer/.......Platform%3DAndroid 

Hope that helps.

Coenoby

Edited just to add one tip.Take note of the following instructions in that link.

If you don't set the see "All Inboxes" setting on you only see your Gmail emails in the app's inbox.

See messages from all accounts in Gmail app

1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Gmail app .
  2. At the top left, tap Menu.
  3. Tap All inboxes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi St_Ivo,

Thanks for posting and sorry to see you're having some issues using a web client on your android phone. 

I can see coenoby has already been a great help.

If this is still something you need assistance with please let us know.

Alex_Rm

HTA02
Joining in

Hi,

Yesterday I received a message from VM that the email issue running over the past 3 weeks was resolved and all e-mail sub-folders were not available again.  I checked my VM webmail and can see they are so that's great.  However, although I can see the sub-folder layout on my android phone, they do not have the content as they should from what I can see in the webmail.  What can I do to get my android device to also download the sub-folder content?  I am using Outlook on my phone but also have the default Samsung mail app - the issue is the same with both.

Thanks,

Harj.