Menu
twistedsister11
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Failed billing

Hi All I recieved an email today which did not look right so I tried to contact virginmedia but no tel no.  This was a failed billing telling me the payment of my latest bill could not be taken by direct debit because payment details have expired or is missing. Then it tells me my package will be suspended on 15th Jan. I clicked onto the email and it says it’s from

[removed]

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Failed billing

It is a scam/phishing attempt.  See here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-12-01-2021/m-p/4563827#M4...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
twistedsister11
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I did not attempt to open. But do wonder how I got it. What did I open etc

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@twistedsister11 wrote:

But do wonder how I got it. What did I open etc

If your email address is in the format xxxxxxx&viginmedia.com you may not have done anything. Criminals often use software to generate the username (the part of the address before the @ symbol) to create their distribution lists.

They take a database of common first names and surnames and the software creates all the possible combinations including with and without  ',' and '_' separators plus with and without numbers at the end.

If they are sending a Virgin Media phishing email, such as the one you received, they just add '@viginmedia.com' after the address to generate a huge set of addresses. If the scammers are aware of the VM legacy domains they might even add the '@ntlwordl.com' and '@blueyonder.co.uk' variants as well!

By the law of averages  most of those addresses will be valid but the scammers do not really care if any fail, that just want to cast their net as wide as possible.

However, you can find out of your email account has been compromised and fallen into the hands of spammers or scammers by entering it into the following sites:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ or https://breachchecker.com/ 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

twistedsister11
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all advice and comments welcome 

0 Kudos